Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TSA Australia: Tourette Awareness Week May 6 -12, 2012

Default TSA Australia: Tourette Awareness Week May 6 -12, 2012

It only takes a tic, so give a minute

Visit the TSA (Australia) website for more information

Default Re: TSA Australia: Tourette Awareness Week May 6 -12, 2012

I attended to the TS Conference on Saturday and will write up a report on the day.

Looking forward to your report of the event.

Spider Thug is our Forum's "man on the ground" in Australia!

TS Conference – Family Focus
    Canada Bay, Five Dock 12 May, 2012

At the end of Tourette Syndrome Awareness Week, The ‘Tourette Syndrome Association of Australia, Inc.’(TSAA), the TSAA held a Conference at the Canada Bay Club at Canada Bay some 15 minutes out of the Sydney CBD.

The Canada Bay Club is a sports club, primarily soccer as they were originally known as the Western Sydney Soccer Club or something similar. Across the road from the club is a small golf course. Just over the small golf course are bays where fingers of the inner harbour lay. Inside the club at ground level are pokie(slot) machines and a bistro. Upstairs at the front is the Chinese Restaurant and up the escalators are conference rooms.

As you enter the room and head to the chairs, you have the sign in tables on your left and fundraising merchandise on the right from keyrings to books to clothing items. Even an American story on DVD.

We heard a warm opening by the President of the TSAA, Robyn Latimer. The theme is ‘Family Focus’. The guests are all Doctors except for the first two speakers who are youths. The first, Ryan(17) who spoke of being focussed and being active. Ryan found that being outdoor active in his preferred sport of cycling helps him to focus. Second speaker is, Taj(12) whose is in his first year of high school and a few years ago, starred in a TS Awareness video.

First speaker was, Professor Perminder Sachdev, of the Neuropsychiatric Institute at Prince of Wales Hospital(Randwick) and, TSAA Medical Adviser. And founder of the TSAA. Prof. Sachdev spoke on the medical perspective of TS which was rather interesting. He gave definitive explanations of TS in easy to understand language.

The second speaker, Professor Valsamma Eapen; Professor and Chair of Infant Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of New South Wales and Head of Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry Southwest Sydney(AUCS). Professor Eapen gave a friendly talk on infants including being affected at school. She gave the example of a patient presented to her for Austism whose behaviour worsened including touching the teacher on private body parts. She noticed the child’s father twitching and after asking questions of their family history starting with Austism and OCD before leading to Tourette Sydnrome, did she advise them that their Austistic child also has Tourettes.

After the yummy sandwiches eaten for lunch, we were shown the World Premier of, “What makes you tic?”. An interesting theme was management of TS through change of diet. Those who spoke about changing diet and gradually returning foods found that their child’s tics went right down. One of them, a mother with TS can’t eat sugars and drink wine without having twitches while her son’s tics are set by eating wheat foods.

The third and final speaker was, Professor Tim Usherwood; Professor of General Practice, the University of Sydney. Professor Usherwood spoke of his personal experience of having TS. About how he was sent to Psychiatric treatment only learn that he had TS when he was at University. Up until then, he believed he had a psychiatric condition until a Professor told him what it was and how TS is viewed. Professor Usherwood told us how he can remove skin cancers and other surgical procedures without a twitch until he leaves the surgery where his twitches return.

It was a good day and being my first TS Conference, I did not know what to expect but I enjoyed it. We got to meet others, some who had flown from as far as the other side of Australia for the event. I got to meet a couple who have an eight year old child with TS who live near to me.

Before leaving, I had donated a couple gold coins for two key rings in return and a green cap with the TSAA name on it which I gave to my eight year old son as I don’t wear caps and he loves them. A bright green cap.

In the end, it was an enjoyable day. Will I go to another Conference? Most likely will. I’m especially thankful of my two nurse friends who sent me the money for the conference with the orders that I was going. Thank you.

Today I posted off a tube of saliva for DNA testing as part of TS research.