Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Risperdal for son

Default Risperdal for son

Hi my son is 18 and has recently been diagnosed. He started a bad facial about 18 months ago. We never knew that he had a tic disorder because whatever tics he had up until then were unnoticeable. As a young child he took Paxil for OCD and has been fine until now. My question is he started risperdal about 6 weeks ago we notice only a small improvement. Some of the tics went away but others seem worse is 6 weeks enough time to give this medicine? He is on 1.5 mg

Default Re: Risperdal for son

6 weeks is pretty minimal for psychotropic medications in terms of evaluating benefits. How frequently is your son being seen by his doctor for followup?

He will see his doctor again after week 7. Is 1.5 mg considered a low dose? Do you think we should up the dose after 7 weeks?

Given your son's age and the reason for prescribing Risperdal (which I assume was TS and/or impulsivity and/or irritability?), I would call it a moderate dose, neither low nor high.

So he is to see his doctor again next week or so... that would be a good time to convey your observations to the doctor about how some tics seem to have improved and some seem to have worsened. This will be very important information for your doctor to have in making recommendations for medications going into the future.