Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello there everybody

Default Hello there everybody

Hi there, I'm mickey, I am 30 years old and am undiagnosed but have had tics and some ocd maybe since the age of 6.

I have been reading the forum for a couple of years, usually when my tics get a little tough to control and I need some guidance, my tics usually sit a little closer to psychological than neurological I think lol as I am able to suppress them to an extent. I suppose my situation may seem strange in that I have never spoken to anyone about my tics, I learnt to hide them at an early age after people telling me to stop shaking my head or grinding my teeth or what not.

I lead a relatively normal life and can usually control or hide my tics when around people, I think I prefere to have it this way because when I am alone the tics take over, I have always been a little afraid that if everybody knew about them I wouldnt be able to control them as well anymore. now and again they do get extremely difficult to manage, the last month or so I've been a little stressed and they have taken over, all the techniques I use are not working at all or without extreme concentration. To me it feels like trying to tame the incredible hulk inside my head lol. I thought of posting here as a release, maybe it will help me.

A few years ago I was going through a stage where I was having one tic at a time, it would last a few weeks then another would take over, one particular tic was grinding a particular tooth until I cracked it in half, the dentist took it out and it drive me completely insane that I couldn't do this tic. But then no tic took over from it and I was free for 6 whole months.

I thought I was cured lol but they slowly crept back and now are worse than ever. What I'm trying to say really is I know u have it in me somewhere to keep them at bay, I learn new tricks that stop them one day but are useless the next, i have a fairly relaxed attitude towards my issues but they fo get me down from time to time. People may tell me to tell people, and to live with them instead of battling them all the time.

But this is the coping mechanism I suppose I have grown up with and I'm happy to keep trying, maybe I think im too old now to say by the way everyone, I think I have Tourette's.

I'd just like to know if i remind anyone of themselves or has anyone got any relaxation techniques to share or tricks up thier sleeves to share. I know there are plenty worse off than me I admire anyone who has the untameable tics full time I take my hat off to you.
    Last edited by Steve; August 27, 2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: re-format for easier reading

Default Re: Hello there everybody

Mickey,

I suppose my situation may seem strange in that I have never spoken to anyone about my tics, I learnt to hide them at an early age after people telling me to stop shaking my head or grinding my teeth or what not.
    Surprisingly, for people who were unaware of their diagnosis of Tourette and who never received any awareness nor support during their growing up years, it is not at all unusual to have kept the tic activity as a deep dark secret. This was my own experience well into my forties, when I finally learned it was called Tourette Syndrome and that I was not alone in the world

maybe I think im too old now to say by the way everyone, I think I have Tourette's.
    It doesn't have to be something you need to broadcast, but on the other hand, you could share the information on a need to know basis, such as a close family member, close friend, employer or colleague. If the situation would help clarify curiosity or relieve tension in the relationship, then it might be appropriate to explain that Tourette is an involuntary neurological disorder.

I think I prefere to have it this way because when I am alone the tics take over
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying that when you are alone, you allow your tics to express without holding back or trying to suppress, right?

In fact, I think most of us do that, to have a safe place where we can express tics without interference, which in itself is relaxing and settling.

Overall it sounds like you have adjusted fairly well to your circumstances, am I right?

thanks for the reply steve, it truly is an odd experience talking to someone about this lol.
    i too didnt realize what was up with me until i was about 23, before that i just thought iu was a little nuts. the realization that there were millions of people with the same issues as me was very comforting.

you are right in saying that i have adjusted well, most of the time anyway. like i said my tics are not so bad that mostly i can store them up until i am alone or mask them, the problem i have is that mostly the tics bloody hurt lol grinding teeth and shaking my head until i have a banging headache, so thats pretty much why i dont want them to get any worse, and that i wouldnt want to embarace my kids or family, that probably comes from being made to feel ashamed as a child for doing stupid actions and movements all the time i suppose, unsorted issues you could say. i wouldnt go down any medication route though or get an official diagnosis, i don't think my case is severe enough really.

its bothersome to have this but some things i do make me chuckle, i love in the mornings to say whatever random word is stuck in my head over and over in all the silly voices imaginable or having to walk around lamposts on one particular side cause it feels right.
    have you got a mixed bag of dissorders steve? how severe would you say you are affected by all of this if you dont mind me asking?

Mickey,

Coming to terms with your newly recognized Tourette may take a little time, and adjustment. Old attitudes, such as the unfortunate shame you were made to feel as a child with Tourette may require some light duty therapy to help deal with residual feelings of guilt or shame.

i wouldnt want to embarrass my kids or family
    You should not feel any embarrassment or shame on account of your Tourette. Tourette is not a behavioural defect, and does not reflect some character deficiency so there is nothing to be ashamed of. Do you feel there is any lack of understanding of Tourette among any of your family that causes you to feel this way?

Do you feel safe in your own home, in front of your family to express tics if you need to?

i wouldnt go down any medication route though or get an official diagnosis
    Most people whose quality of life is not adversely affected by their tics, who succeed in suppressing or redirecting tics can usually do well without tic suppressing medications. However, you may want to reconsider being seen by a physician or medical professional with Tourette expertise in order to give you a thorough evaluation for Tourette, as well as associated disorders....here's why:

• In order to properly counsel your kids, for their own future family benefit, you would be providing them with valuable genetic information, so down the road, future parents of your grand kids etc can not only make decisions about their family planning, but also be able to help any of their children who might exhibit signs of tic disorders, associated disorders, and even learning disabilities. Knowing an accurate family medical history can be a valuable asset for future generations.
    • You mentioned >>>>having to walk around lamposts on one particular side cause it feels right.<<<< which might be a symptom of an associated disorder to Tourette Syndrome you would have your doctor evaluate. If indeed your doctor finds evidence of OCD or any other anxiety related disorder, these are so easily treated, that you might be able to find relief from some of these symptoms.

have you got a mixed bag of dissorders steve?
    Over my lifetime, I have had a varying collection of tic expressions, and like you learned through necessity in my teen years to suppress. My tics did not significantly affect my abilities throughout my career, though I always managed to find safe places to express my pent up tics throughout my working day.

Once I was "officially diagnosed" in my forties, it took a while to "come to terms" with knowing there was a name for what I was doing, and thanks to some therapy, I used that knowledge to become an awareness advocate, so that others would not live in the ignorance I experienced for four decades of my life.

My hope for you, Mickey, is that through this learning experience, your relationship with your Tourette, if indeed it is your diagnosis, can make your quality of life less stressful.

Hi Mickey,

I think that Steve has done a great job of responding to your situation.
    I'd like to respond to this part of your original message:
    i wouldnt want to embarrass my kids or family
    Tourette Syndrome (TS) is a genetic disorder, so if you have TS, there is a possibility that your children or other members of your family may also have tics as well. Give yourself a safe place at home to express your tics and make it okay for other family members to know about them in case they need to join you.

You also wrote:
    I lead a relatively normal life and can usually control or hide my tics when around people, I think I prefere to have it this way because when I am alone the tics take over, I have always been a little afraid that if everybody knew about them I wouldnt be able to control them as well anymore.
    The coping mechanism of keeping your tics in all day takes a lot of energy. If your tics are increasing, take a driving break during lunch and let some of the tic energy out instead of holding it in all day. You may also discover that you haven't hidden the tics as well as you think, and your co-workers may have noticed them. If they have, then why not let some of that energy out during the day? The tics should not affect your job performance.

In terms of this part of your post:
    I suppose I have grown up with and I'm happy to keep trying, maybe I think im too old now to say by the way everyone, I think I have Tourette's.
    If you do need accommodations at work, you will need a letter from your doctor, and that means a proper diagnosis. With the diagnosis may come treatment options to help you deal with some of the troublesome tics that hurt. It would also be a new diagnosis and that should impact how they respond to you at work, but please explore your workplace protocol for chronic disorders first. According to the Human Rights laws of Canada, they need to accommodate you if you reveal a diagnosis after being hired -- I'm not sure how this applies if you have been employed for a while.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership