Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Beautiful Daughter

Default My Beautiful Daughter

Hi everyone. I just found out my 7 year old daughter has Tourettes. I've noticed her tics for a long time of course but did not realize the way she kind of blows air out of her nose all the time is considered a vocal tic. She has the typical shoulder shrugs where she throws she head back, eye blinking, hand flexing and nose scrunching. It doesn't seem to bother her or her friends so at this point I'm not worrying about it too much. A little concerned about how others will handle it around the preteen/teen years but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Just wanted to say hi and know that we are not alone

Default Re: My Beautiful Daughter

Welcome to the Forum, FemFab! Glad you found us and you are not alone.

Hopefully you find the information and support you might need here on the Forum and through the resources of the TSFC to help your beautiful daughter develop strategies to deal with her Tourette as she grows into a young woman.

The best strategy is always to have information ready to deal with any curiosity, inquiries or issues that might arise.

We have a number of written overviews of Tourette and what it is on the Forum, with some good ones located HERE. Other overview articles are located in the same Tics Overview Section.

You might want to download and print some of these brochures to have available as refreshers if you ever need to explain Tourette to anyone.

To help your daughter, though, a good way is to rehearse and role play with her a brief explanation she can have ready in the event she is asked or challenged by a playmate, another parent or even a school teacher. Her rehearsed explanation should be kept simple for her comprehension at her age. So at seven, she could simply say something like, " The movements or sounds I make are Tourette Syndrome. It's the way my brain is made"

Later o she can elaborate to use the terms "an involuntary neurological disorder" "the movements / sounds can't be controlled...like an itch that you have to scratch"

In schools, you need to be pro-active to ensure the teachers and principal are aware of her Tourette, so if and when she might need an accommodation, the groundwork will have been laid.

Have you looked into a local TSFC support Chapter to meet other parents living with Tourette?

The TSFC National Office has tools and publications that provide a variety of resources for information as well as resources for school teachers.

Check out the TSFC website or call the National Office for more info.

In the meantime, we are here to help you and try to answer your concerns.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the information. There is a Tourette's support group an hour's drive from my city. I will be booking an appointment with a doctor in Ottawa who knows more about it than her pediatrician. My daughter's tics do get worse when she is excited about something or when she eats sugar. There is a noticeable improvement when we cut out sugar completely. I wonder if she should be avoiding other foods or gluten too.

If you find that your daughter reacts adversely to sugar loads, then check with her doctor on how to safely limit her sugar intake.

I wonder if she should be avoiding other foods or gluten too.
    Also if you are within convenient travel distance to Ottawa, you might want to attend the TSFC Ottawa Chapter support meetings. I don't have first hand understanding of how various diet strategies can be helpful in children with Tourette, but some of the Mom's of the Ottawa Chapter, in particular the Chapter president, Jill, does have first hand diet information based on her son's experience.

Hi FemmeFabulous. It's good to see you're getting connected and it really will allow you to share and compare.

I'm 38 now and cut out refined sugar and excessive fat (wherever I can) a couple of years ago. I didn't do it for TS reasons though but it has certainly benefited me there. I just got fed up with being overweight. I lost about 9kg and feel like I'm at my ideal. After I made the conscious decision to stop I got cravings and it took a few months to really get it out of my system. You have to be so disciplined during that stage as the pull is a fierce one. Now, it's nice to walk past rows of chocolate bars and sweet pastries without feeling the compulsion to indulge. I still like to eat treats on occasion but cook them myself and switch to honey and olive oil for my baking and greatly lower the suggested amounts in recipes.

If I get overly excited or anxious my TS worsens regardless. If I flood myself with sugar in combination with excitement or anxiety then it can really get out of control. I remember the connection to eating sweet food as a child and the sense of feeling mentally over stimulated and uncontrollable physical writhing. One summer Sunday evening just before bedtime I was settled and relaxed and my mum gave me some white chocolate mice. Once they hit, I climbed out of the living room window and ran up the road to play in the park. Cutting out/down on sugar as an adult has certainly helped to stabilise the more uncontrollable fidgety moments.

I get on very well with starchy complex carbohydrates from oats and other grains. I like to have plain natural yoghurt for breakfast and mix in raw oats and other roasted grains, raisins, chopped banana, and seasonal offerings. The grains keep me going all morning with a slow release of energy that doesn't flood or overwhelm. If I do need a pick me up when I'm tired or doing something strenuous, I get a 100% fruit juice with no other additions. It's quite sugary I know but it's not going to waste and serves a purpose for when it's really needed. Overall I eat a very wide variety of food and don't notice any ill effects beyond the sugar. I love fresh pasta and eat it a couple of times a week. I also get some high quality mixed grain bread from my baker's and enjoy that greatly. Just that sugar.

Hey Feelers, Thank you for posting your experiences with sugar. Your experiences sound just like what my daughter is going through right now. Giving her sugar to eat is like lighting a fire cracker in her lol!