Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tourettes can show in chat?

Default Tourettes can show in chat?

Is it possible that your Tourette can show up when you are in a chat conversation?

What i mean is that when you chat with someone, and suddenly get the urge to type something like: "f*ck me!" in a middle of a normal conversation.

This has happened to me a few times. When i do my vocal tics in rl, i can get an impulse or how to say, and type something in the chat box that isn't appropriate.

Default Re: Tourettes can show in chat?

suddenly get the urge to type something like: "f*ck me!" in a middle of a normal conversation.
    In my layman's opinion, this suggests a compulsion rather than a tic.

To read more about compulsions, please see:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder | Psychology Today

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder :: OCD | Psychlinks

But a OCD compulsion is when you feel or think that you must do something, or bad things will happen.
    Like: "if i dont type f*ck me! in my chat conversation, my mother will die"

It says from OCD compulsion: "Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety."

What i do doesnt come with a thought. And it doesnt cause anxiety, its just.. coming.
    I feel excited or at least not unhappy when i do it.
    Last edited by blackfriday; November 5, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfriday View Post
    But a OCD compulsion is when you feel or think that you must do something, or bad things will happen. Like: "if i dont type f*ck me! in my chat conversation, my mother will die"

It says from OCD compulsion: "Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety."

What i do doesn't come with a thought. And it doesn't cause anxiety, its just.. coming.

I feel excited or at least not unhappy when i do it.
    Well it does come with a thought or you wouldn't be aware of it. But when you have the urge to type something inappropriate in an online chat, does that feel any different than when you feel the urge to say something verbally?

Quote Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
    Well it does come with a thought or you wouldn't be aware of it. But when you have the urge to type something inappropriate in an online chat, does that feel any different than when you feel the urge to say something verbally?
    It actually feels the same way as the urge i get when i clap my hands or make a sound verbally.

From what i have read, compulsions cause great anxiety if not performed. My sounds doesnt cause me anxiety if i cant perform them. And they dont come with that typical "magic thinking" when you have OCD/compulsions (ex. I really must do this, even though i dont want to).

My sounds comes with pleasure. I really like to suddenly clap my hands, and make a loud animal sound or whatever it might be. Im not sick of it, and i dont feel that i must do it or something bad will happen. And i dont feel that i must say something verbally 5 times, and clap my hands 4 times, as also is typical when you suffer from (OCD) compulsions.

Its hard to explain, but before i make sounds or whatever i do at that time, it comes with a energic feeling first, and follows by a sound and/or a body movement.
    Its not something i dont want to have. Its a part of me that i want to have, and i dont feel ashamed of it. Its just me!

Actually, there are many variations of OCD and OCD-like symptoms but no one here is trying to diagnose you with OCD, nor will we. That is between you and your face-to-face doctors.

I suspect it is possible that Tourette/verbal tic-like features could appear in other forms of conversation. For one thing, typically people when typing will "speak" what they are typing in their heads/thoughts so most of the same brain areas are active whether you are speaking out loud or speaking via typing.