Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lip-Licking help

Default Lip-Licking help

My son (5, has been dx with TS) has recently started licking his lips all the time. He said he can't stop. But it's starting to get really red and chapped all around his mouth, and it's hurting him and the more it hurts, the more he does it? What can we do to help him?

Cool Re: Lip-Licking help

As for changing his behaviour, you would have to work with him to figure out a way to redirect or to modify his urge to lick his lips.

Consider the cause of the chapping:

Contrary to his notion, water and/or saliva are not moisturizing to lips at all. In fact, both will remove any natural oils on his lips, which is why he needs to resist or modify the urge to wet his lips with saliva.

There are a number of irksome and irritating conditions that may create a desire to moisten the lips frequently. Probably the most common of these is sun or windburn, which leads to dryness and cracking. Young people, frequently develop a bit of dermatitis around the mouth, called perioral dermatitis and this can be made much worse if it is treated with steroid creams.

You may want to have his pediatrician have a look to ensure there is no infection.

His doctor can offer treatment for these infections. If he is in good general health all you need to do is apply a soft water-resistant lip balm.

**Information gathered from Lip-licking habit and How To Cure Chapped Lips / FireHow.com

Default Re: Lip-Licking help

You can also try a Vitamin E gel to promote healing and help keep the lips moistened.

Start putting Chapstick/Vaseline on his lips after he falls asleep at night. We found this helped immensely with DS that has not been diagnosed with TS when he was constantly licking and biting. We also had the school nurse do it a time or two but I think it helps mostly at night when they're not licking their lips constantly and it gives it time to heal.

My son dealt with this tic all summer and finally got over it only for it to return this week when he got sick. I tried buying all the organic chapsticks but he didn't like the feel of something on his lips. I even put olive oil on them when he was asleep but he rolled his face in his pillow immediately to wipe it off in his sleep - he never woke up just wiped it right off. I used organic olive oil when he was asleep because I thought if it went on easily I wouldn't be disturbing him while he slept. I used a qtip and it still felt off to him in his sleep.

I have a sensory processing ocd thing where I can feel oil or dirt on my hands and I'm constantly washing them. My hands get so dry and cracked in the winter but I hate lotion or oils. So I can relate to not wanting chapstick.

I forgot about this.... my son did this about 18 months ago. I put paw-paw ointment on to try and heal the sores it created - that must have been unpleasant to lick (unexpected - it also healed up very quickly), and he stopped almost immediately. If you cant get paw-paw ointment where you are, it basically feels like vaseline. Might be worth a try?

Where do you live? I'm from the US in the south and there is a native fruit tree here called paw paws. I wonder if this is the same as you are talking about?

ok no it's different - your pawpaw is papaya
    Last edited by Geneva; December 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Googled pawpaw ointment