Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tics on the computer & head/neck tics

Default Tics on the computer & head/neck tics

Our kiddo has been having a couple different tics while he is on the computer. He has now officially broken a mouse because of it (not a huge deal, just don't want to be buying them every week). He will shake the mouse every couple of seconds and then clicks twice instead of once and clicks very hard (he has also been doing this on phones and our iPad).

Anyone with advice on what to do??? I don't want to take the computer and other things away from him. I have tried having him tap on a hard surface instead but it doesn't seem to last long. I was also thinking that once we get another mouse that he could use the old one to shake but I doubt that will work either as it happens so often and seems like there is no withholding them.

Also, he is very up right now and I feel bad for him. A lot of head/neck stuff too and I worry he is hurting himself Could he really hurt himself when he whips his head?? Any advice there?
    Shannon
    Mother of 2 boys - 8 year old with TS+

Default Re: Tics on the computer & head/neck tics

My son broke the recliner couch by repeatedly moving it up and down. We got it replaced with a different couch that did not recline (because the store we bought it from had an excellent return policy) but because my son was not finished with that tic his tics got much worse after that. I know that sounds odd but his tics became worse after we got the new couch. So my advice to you is let him break a mouse and don't say a word when he does it. Let him get it out of his system or get over it...

Also, he can hurt himself jerking his neck. There have been people who had that tic and ended up having to have surgery repairing bulging disc but there is nothing you can do about it but medicate and often that changes thier personality to a zombie. Quality or quanity. It is hard to decide but let him come to you and say his neck hurts and he wants that tic to stop before you up meds or do meds. I don't know what your med. situation is.
    Last edited by Geneva; November 25, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment on neck jerking tic

Newegg.com - GRANDTEC MOU-600 Indigo 2 Buttons USB Wired Optical Virtually Indestructible Mouse

This.

After breaking my chair and other items around my house I found objects like this to be very helpful. Practically twitch proof.
    TS and Chorn's disease, two diseases triggered by stress. Why am I going into special education one of the most stressful professions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by davispenn View Post
    Our kiddo has been having a couple different tics while he is on the computer. He has now officially broken a mouse because of it (not a huge deal, just don't want to be buying them every week). He will shake the mouse every couple of seconds and then clicks twice instead of once and clicks very hard (he has also been doing this on phones and our iPad).

Anyone with advice on what to do??? I don't want to take the computer and other things away from him. I have tried having him tap on a hard surface instead but it doesn't seem to last long. I was also thinking that once we get another mouse that he could use the old one to shake but I doubt that will work either as it happens so often and seems like there is no withholding them.

Also, he is very up right now and I feel bad for him. A lot of head/neck stuff too and I worry he is hurting himself Could he really hurt himself when he whips his head?? Any advice there?
    We ended up getting a laptop with a built in mouse. It was the only way for us to avoid buying a new mouse every week. The laptop that was issued to our daughter through school had a built in mouse as well as an external mouse depending on where her tics are at she can use either one. I am not a techy person but asked the school to do something in the settings to accommodate her need to "even things up". Anything she needs to click on to open she has to double click for it to open! Works perfect for her needs...right now! ;)