Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Career education lacking in Canada

Default Career education lacking in Canada

Did you know the National Occupation Classification, a Canadian government publication, describes 923 distinct occupations encompassing 25,000 job titles?

If you are a young person with TS or associated disorders, are there possibilities you have yet to explore?

Here are some interesting thoughts on the roles of parents, the education system, and youth themselves in career choices ... and the start of this article.

Career education lacking in Canada
    Published on Saturday December 01, 2012
    Neil Sandell
    Special to the Star

There are three dirty little secrets when it comes to young people and their career choices.

The first is that parents sometimes steer their kids wrong. Not intentionally. After all, they want the best for their children. But some parents give career advice that is ill-informed or misguided.

The second is that career education in Canadian schools is patchy and needs improvement, despite some laudable policies from ministries of education, and some exceptional local programs.

The third secret is that too many of the young and jobless have given more thought to what brand of jeans to buy than their career plan. The question is, why?

These statements are provocative, of course. My apologies to the parents, professionals and struggling young adults who are doing all the right things. This is not about you.

I’ve lobbed a grenade deliberately. If we tiptoe around the shortcomings of career education, it won’t get better.
    Last edited by Tina; December 2, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Career education lacking in Canada

I read the article that Tina quoted and I must say I wholeheartedly agree! My son is now 38 and has never had a job, apart from some unpaid work organized by his worker at Ontario Works. They will not give him Disability as they say he can work but he (and they) have never been able to find him a job as we live in a small town and he does not drive, although he would be willing to move to the next town for work. We live in a small Northern Ontario town and because of his anxiety he cannot move too far away from his family. He could not finish college because there was no suitable programme in place for him at that time. I wish the Government Agencies would be a little more creative in their thinking - everyone does not fit into the nice little pigeonholes they have in place. He is highly intelligent and his talents are being wasted, as are many other young people's! Where, oh where are the employers willing to give these people a chance!

Where, oh where are the employers willing to give these people a chance!
    Is there a possibility that you might be able to make a personal contact with a potential employer on your son's behalf using some personal networking contacts, Gert?

I became a Trustee on the local Catholic School Board and for 12 years tried to educate the other Trustees on how Special Education was not helping those children with Tourettes or less obvious "disabilities". I and am well known in our little town as an advocate for Special Needs children, especially those falling through the cracks. I have counseled at least two mothers with children in the public school system how to obtain special education for their children, and when they cancelled Special Education in the local High School I obtained permission for my son to finish his Grade 12 at the Adult Education Centre, where he obtained excellent one-on-one assistance. I have always been active in volunteering with the hospital, library, school and nursing home and know many people but employment opportunities for "special needs" youth are few and far between here and our town is slowly dying as the youth go South for education and very few return, leaving only senior citizens, such as myself and my husband.

Thank you Gert for the additional information. You obviously have proven credentials of an advocate in your community!

Where do you see the greatest need for change in the multi government process in Canada?

When I left high school in 1987, Australia was in the midst of an economic boom and I found it easy to find work. Employers would raise that I had tics but I didn't know what a tic was and that I had them. They didn't stop me from living and I as I now know, I didn't know what I was going most of the time anyway. However, it was seen as just a tic.

Move forward a good 20 years where we now have insurance and discrimination acts, it has become much harder. Harder because on the insurance side, employers don't want to pay the extra premium. I have been told by employers that they viewed me as an OH&S risk. I also view the anti-discrimination acts as a hindrance. While well meaning, I view them being a hindrance as employers fear not being able to sack a disabled employee who doesn't end up suitable for the position. I know a fella with 20 years experience of truck driving and earth moving equipment without a single accident but nobody will employ him now because he is deaf/mute and can't use the radio in the cabin.

Governments don't help at all either as they force people into the labour market knowing no employer will give them a job yet treat the disabled person as if they are seeking a free and easy life. Australian Governments have also made it very tough where having a terminal illness with no hope of survival such as cancer is no longer a good enough reason to receive anything but unemployment benefit. If you have a permanent illness, you not exempt from looking for employment should your illness make you sick. Like the young woman I met who spent a month in hospital for an asthma attack, some of that time on a machine that kept her breathing but she lost all of her benefit because she did not seek employment during the time she was hooked up to a machine.

It's all very frustrating for the people on the end of all this. Them and their loved ones around them. Education in getting people to understand would be good but how?