Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mutter's Introduction

Default Mutter's Introduction

My sons was just diagnosed he is 11 years almost 12.
    He has more tics when he is excited and that is actually him saying this to me.
    Video games are high on excitment for many reasons (his friends from all over are also online, we moved a few times)
    My son also is an introvert and has people anxiety.
    We always thought he has SPD (diagnosed when he was 2 years old) and SPD only which causes his symptoms. Also we are off and on diagnoses with PDD NOS (why can't they make up their mind?)
    Anyway for what ever reason my son had never had any social issues. He always finds friends (not that he cares to much about many kids)
    He has never been teased or made fun off (so far-this is his 1st year middle school). I myself have seen a few people look and worry more then he does about people. I am at this point well I guess if we get there I will handle the situation then the best I can.
    Son tries to supress the urges for some tics sometimes but does a poor job. Before we knew about the TS we were told it's puberty and named some of the tics. The "lion" was back then the most visual and we taught him the "zoolander". Sucking in his cheeks. OMG we are bad parents? Not really I was horrified thinking other kids laughing and teasing him.
    I guess (we had moved since ) he is at a new school and so far so good. I deal with it when it happens I could worry myself to sick otherwise.
    Last edited by mutter; December 4, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

Default Re: Mutter's Introduction

Welcome to the TSFC Forum. Glad you have found us and we hope you will find the information and support that might help you and your family learn more about Tourette Syndrome.

We are here to help.....let us know what you need.

Hello mutter. Welcome on board.

Up until about 11 I had intense abdominal muscle ticks, head and facial tics, and an array of vocalisations that I managed to keep barely audible. My biggest one was running across the playground with my hands flailing in the air. I used to do this in context with a group activity so it didn't look too out of place.

From around 11 my vocalisations reduced dramatically and I was gaining more self control with tics in public settings when restraint was appropriate. Out of the public eye though I needed to let off steam and I still do at 38.

I kept myself very busy at his age and was always out with friends, at clubs, doing hobbies, and the like. I really needed constant stimulus and found it tough to just sit and relax unless I'd reached a certain level of mental and physical exhaustion. Physical activity with a mental challenge was the best as it kept everything moving. And the more variety the better.

I'm good at my job and get a lot done. It's not necessarily because I have to but because I want to. I often look for new tasks that I don't really need to do and it's incredibly therapeutic to complete multiple achievements in a day. I don't know if this is just a personal trait or a conditioned strategy but it certainly helps things along quite nicely. Watching TS kids' camp documentaries and seeing how the activities they provide keep the kids focussed I can see generalities. For me, it's always been good to have multiple things on a daily basis and if the level's balanced you don't need to fear burn out at all.

Got to run as I've got something to do now.

Welcome to the forum, mutter. Have a good look over the forum and see if there is any information already there for you that is helpful to you.

Hi Mutter,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    It is wonderful that your son is having no social problems, and has so many friends online.
    Many of our kids avoid social isolation by doing this - and no one can see your tics online

Please know that the hormones of adolescence could be a factor in the recent intensification of his tics.
    Also suppressing his tics may cause a boomerang effect where the tics come back stronger when he finally does release them.
    If his friends do not mind his tics, and he's not getting teased about them, encourage him to let them out,
    and let his teacher know this is the direction your family would like to take.

However, as he gets older, kids may tease him about his tics.
    We often suggest to set up a system with his teachers that allows him to go to a safe place to let the tics out and then come back to class.
    You'll find this and many other strategies on the Forum and in the resource books available on the website
    of the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada.

Cheers!
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Thank's
    We are talking to school and just had a 504 meeting.