Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Autism & Tourette's

Question Autism & Tourette's

My youngest son has autism and has always had physical tics which are characteristics of autism. Over the past few months I have noticed verbal tics that have become increasingly frequent...where it happens almost every 30 seconds. It's not an actual word but sounds like "hey" or "hi" but it's not. He just turned 13 in November. His doctor isn't back until January...so I'm just wondering what is autism & what is tourette's?

My middle son has Asperger's & Tourette's but his tics are different then his brother's. He has eye rolling & verbal in the form of a robot sound/throat clearing.

Default Re: Autism & Tourette's

Update: After seeing the doctor & understanding the difference between tics related to autism & tics related to tourettes it make a lot more sense. He currently is between simple tics & chronic verbal tics. Anxiety medication was started which has dramatically decreased the verbal tics. But in the morning and at the end of the day they are still there.

Default Re: Autism & Tourette's

Thank you for the update.

understanding the difference between tics related to autism & tics related to tourettes
    Would you elaborate on those differences for the benefit of our Forum members?