Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Echolalia as the word of the day

Default Echolalia as the word of the day

Dictionary.com made a very common tic into the word of the day, but neglected to mention it was a tic.
    From the TSFC's Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators:

"Any repetitive, involuntary sound that a person makes can become a tic.
    Echolalia is the repeating of sounds, words or parts of words of other."

In practice, children can repeat the words of their teachers and be accused of not being respectful.
    They can also sit in front of the TV or at a movie and repeat lines from the actors.

Our advice is to ignore tics like echolalia, drawing attention to them, or telling a child to stop the tic
    often increases the child's anxiety, which increases the tics, which makes the situation worse.

Here's dictionary.com's definition. I found the origin of the word to be rather interesting.
    If children living with TS are asked to stop the tics, they can pine away like Echo, feeling that they aren't accepted.
    Better to find strategies to help them control the tics in a positive way.

echolalia \ek-oh-LEY-lee-uh\ , noun:
    1. The imitation by a baby of the vocal sounds produced by others, occurring as a natural phase of childhood development.
    2. Psychiatry. The uncontrollable and immediate repetition of words spoken by another person.

At the time when speech is being learned, there begins a period of echolalia in which the child repeats with tireless continuation all the words or sentences it hears; either completely, or else their closing cadences.
    -- Kurt Koffka, The Growth of the Mind: An Introduction to Child Psychology
    These "terrestrial echoes" where the "swamp's echolalia," according to Kiwi, who liked to make geography as pretentious as possible.
    -- Karen Russell, Swamplandia!
    I had cultivated a mild sort of insanity, echolalia, I think it's called. All the tag ends of the night's proofreading danced on the tip of my tongue.
    -- Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Echolalia originates from two Greek roots: echo derived from the name of the mythic nymph Echo fabled to have pined herself away to nothing but her name, combined with lalia meaning "talk or prattle."
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Echolalia as the word of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    Dictionary.com made a very common tic into the word of the day, but neglected to mention it was a tic.
    From the TSFC's Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Educators:

"Any repetitive, involuntary sound that a person makes can become a tic.
    Echolalia is the repeating of sounds, words or parts of words of other."

In practice, children can repeat the words of their teachers and be accused of not being respectful.
    They can also sit in front of the TV or at a movie and repeat lines from the actors.

Our advice is to ignore tics like echolalia, drawing attention to them, or telling a child to stop the tic
    often increases the child's anxiety, which increases the tics, which makes the situation worse.

Here's dictionary.com's definition. I found the origin of the word to be rather interesting.
    If children living with TS are asked to stop the tics, they can pine away like Echo, feeling that they aren't accepted.
    Better to find strategies to help them control the tics in a positive way.

echolalia \ek-oh-LEY-lee-uh\ , noun:
    1. The imitation by a baby of the vocal sounds produced by others, occurring as a natural phase of childhood development.
    2. Psychiatry. The uncontrollable and immediate repetition of words spoken by another person.

At the time when speech is being learned, there begins a period of echolalia in which the child repeats with tireless continuation all the words or sentences it hears; either completely, or else their closing cadences.
    -- Kurt Koffka, The Growth of the Mind: An Introduction to Child Psychology
    These "terrestrial echoes" where the "swamp's echolalia," according to Kiwi, who liked to make geography as pretentious as possible.
    -- Karen Russell, Swamplandia!
    I had cultivated a mild sort of insanity, echolalia, I think it's called. All the tag ends of the night's proofreading danced on the tip of my tongue.
    -- Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Echolalia originates from two Greek roots: echo derived from the name of the mythic nymph Echo fabled to have pined herself away to nothing but her name, combined with lalia meaning "talk or prattle."
    ---------- Post Merged at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Hi Tina:

Can you say that again? - oh, never mind, I already did .

The "pining" concept is new to me wrt echolalia. Is this about trying to bring back a past moment or feeling ?

Len .