Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Australia: Tourette Doesn't Hold Back Trent Ford

Thumbs up Australia: Tourette Doesn't Hold Back Trent Ford

Tourette's Won't Hold Trent Ford Back
    Mosman Daily News
    January 25, 2013

Trent.JPG
    Trent Ford will study criminology at the University of New South Wales, Australia

Mosman, Australia

Among the thousands of students receiving university offers last week, Trent Ford had more reason to celebrate than most.

Ten years ago Trent and his family thought it was "the end of the world" when he was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome at age 7.

Trent's tics included muscle spasms, facial movements, popping sounds and sometimes swearing.

School became a battle for the Mosman boy as he tried to contain his tics and hide his condition from his peers to avoid embarrassment.

"If you try to hide it away it bottles up inside you like a sneeze," Trent said.

"When I'd get home from school I'd explode and let all my tics out."

It was only after learning to accept his condition and reveal it to his classmates that Trent learnt to better control his tics.

"I felt much better once it was out in the open," he said.

"My classmates were really good about it."

Trent received news last week that he'd been accepted at the University of New South Wales to study criminology with his Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) of 92.5.

Trent's dad, Damien Ford, who runs the 2020 dry cleaning business at Mosman, said his son was an inspiration to others.

"It was a battle but I'm extremely proud of how he's grown and learnt to overcome his condition," he said.

Default Re: Australia: Tourette Doesn't Hold Back Trent Ford

Did anyone else have to lookup "learnt"? I wasn't sure if it was a real word ;)

Default Re: Australia: Tourette Doesn't Hold Back Trent Ford

LEARNT: past participle, past tense of learn (Verb)
    It's an interesting observation, Geneva, because the word did not jump out at me as being unfamiliar.

Now that you've mentioned it, I noticed a Google search returns many articles discussing the differences, the controversies and cultural origins of the word.

I found THIS ARTICLE to provide the greatest insight:

It’s a British/American thing

Clear as mud? Thank goodness, then, for The Economist, which simply lists the –t endings as British English and the –ed endings as American English.

Fowler’s Modern English Usage agrees. It acknowledges that both spellings are acceptable, but notes that the –t endings are more common in British English, learned is more common as the past form and dreamed is used for emphasis and in poetry.
    Thanks for noticing!