Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Unsure and new to this...

Default Unsure and new to this...

I have a 6 yr old whos has ADHD, Anxiety, Mood regulation problems, Sensory problems and now recently diagnosed with Tourettes. I never really noticed any of his tics, mostly b/c of what else we were dealing with. Now I am paying more attention. My question is what is the likely hood that my 4 yr old would have Tourettes as well?? I have notcied now that he has has "throat clearing" for the last 2mnths at least?? Do tics come in a series or start as one or.....very unsure??

Default Re: Unsure and new to this...

My question is what is the likely hood that my 4 yr old would have Tourettes as well??
    The liklihood of a Tourette diagnosis cannot be predicted on the basis of one sibling's diagnosis. Your 4 year old might be mimicking his older brother, or may be experiencing transient tics or may have a throat irritation.

In view of his older brother's diagnosis, though, it would be worthwhile to have your 4 year old seen by the same doctor who made the diagnosis for your six year old, to observe and evaluate the younger son's progress.

Do tics come in a series or start as one?
    Tourette tics tend to wax and wane over time....weeks, months and even years, with some "core tics" remaining as part of one's repertoire for life, for those whose tics are lifelong, while other tics come and go.

As you may know, tic expressions are usuallly exacerbated by stress, fatigue or excitement causing tics to become more frequent and/or more intense. For those reasons, it is recommended that your son have his safe space at ome where he knows he can express any and all his tics without interference or interruption if he needs to de-compress in the wake of a stressful or otherwise stimulating occurance.

Thanks fpr your reply

Hi Mamamack,

I have TS, and I have been observing my 15 yr old son who has been *coughing* for a few months now, on and off. I think it's different for everyone, but a basic pattern I have seen with my son is that when he is under emotional stress, about to get sick, or sick at the time, the cough gets worse. It has all but cleared up, but it was every day for a couple of months. I found myself mimicking this (of course, while trying not to) but it did pass fortunately, for both of us. Hopefully, your littler guy will get past it like I did.

Thank you! I hope so to. I am told Tourettes is noot fun. Although my son with Tourettes ...his tics dont seem to be to bad as of now. We are noticing more motor tics than vocal. They started out as vocal when he was about 3, but then we saw nothing until this last yr???