Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Etiology of Tourette and Other Disorders

Post Etiology of Tourette and Other Disorders

Hi Tina!
    According to the article, the relationship between these disorders may explain why the same medications will treat them all. Are the meds for these disorders the same as ones used to control tics?

Also, are there any studies of TS showing that it is not related to bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.? TIA!
    ~ Twidget
    Last edited by Steve; March 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added URL

Default Re: Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression

are there any studies of TS showing that it is not related to bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.
    Your question is interesting and I wonder why you ask.

To my knowledge there is no causal relationship among the disorders you mention.

Default Re: Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression

I'd like to know that there is definitely not a connection between TS and schizophrenia or psychosis. It would just be better to be able to tell people that. If we knew for sure.

But so far, we don't know for sure. I wish someone would do a study so that we could have a definitive answer.

Default Re: Etiology of Tourette and Other Disorders

Twidget,

Though I am not a medical professional, I have studied Tourette Syndrome and other disorders as an interested lay person for decades.

Based on my understanding of the etiology of the Tourette, Schizophrenia, and psychosis, Tourette Syndrome cannot be classified as a psychotic disorder.

Psychosis is a loss of contact with reality that usually includes:
    • False beliefs about what is taking place or who one is (delusions)
    • Seeing or hearing things that aren't there (hallucinations)
    Source

Tourette Syndrome is a genetic neurological disorder, thought to be a hard wired and localized in the basal ganglia of the brain, hallmarked by sudden and repetitive stereotyped movements or vocalizations that vary over time. Associated disorders that often accompany Tourette Syndrome are ADD, OCD, and anxiety.

The incidence of psychosis in people with Tourette Syndrome appears to be similar to that of the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Twidget
    I'd like to know that there is definitely not a connection between TS and schizophrenia or psychosis.
    What prompted your question?

Hi Twidget,

Like Steve, I can only offer my lay opinion of your question:
    According to the article, the relationship between these disorders may explain why the same medications will treat them all. Are the meds for these disorders the same as ones used to control tics?
    Steve has pointed out that TS is neurological disorder that involves involuntary muscle movements.
    The medications for TS (and the tics that are symptomatic with it) would be related to these muscle movements.

Autism, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), major depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are classified as psychiatric disorders by the article in question. Please note in the first post that Steve made on this research, the lead researcher Dr. Jordan Smoller says: “We also found that there was significant overlap in the genetic components of several disorders, especially schizophrenia with bipolar disorder and depression, and to a lesser extent autism with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.”

I hope this helps answer your question.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Thank you, Tina and Steve!

By the way, I didn't mean to start a new thread for the discussion. Not sure how that happened. I'll try to be careful in the future.

Twidget,

Forum Moderators frequently split threads when a discussion moves in a direction that deserves its own thread. That way, members can easily identify topics of interest without searching through existing threads.

It's part of routine Forum management, so it's nothing you as a Forum member have to be concerned with.

Continue enjoying the Forum, and participate in discussions just the way you have been.....