Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Tics While Asleep (Multiple Choice OK)

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tic while asleep

3 37.50%
  • I DO NOT tic while asleep

5 62.50%
  • Tics while asleep same as when awake

1 12.50%
  • Tics while asleep different from when awake

0 0%
  • Have been evaluated for sleep disorders

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tics While Asleep

Default Tics While Asleep

Do you or the person in your life with Tourette Syndrome tic while sleeping?

Are these the same tics that are expressed while awake or are they leg and arm movements?

Are there any vocal tics, like the ones while awake or are the vocalizations different?

Please participate in the attached poll to help us develop some indication of the prevalence of tics during sleep, and feel free to post a comment on your own experience with sleep.

sleep-cartoon.gif

Default Re: Tics While Asleep

Grinds teeth and frequent nightmares.

My son doesn't tic while sleeping. However if he wakes up even slightly, as we all do many times throughout the night, I will often hear his vocal tic.

I'm pretty sure I tic during my sleep -- at least with my most prominent tic, that of gasping suddenly with my diaphragm. I sometimes wake up with a feeling of dying for breath or choking... it could actually be that I don't tic in my sleep, but eventually the premonitory urge wakes me up?

Or you could have sleep apnea?

Quote Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
    Or you could have sleep apnea?
    Yeah, I've actually suspected that before. Could be.

I should have someone analyze me while sleeping to determine whether I tic. :P

I should have someone analyze me while sleeping
    A referral to a sleep clinic would be the way to determine why you experience these symptoms, and to get the right treatment.

People with Tourette are just as likely to experience sleep disorders, unrelated to the disorder, as the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    A referral to a sleep clinic would be the way to determine why you experience these symptoms, and to get the right treatment.

People with Tourette are just as likely to experience sleep disorders, unrelated to the disorder, as the general population.
    Thank you. I'll make a (mental) note of that.

I used to think it might be sleep apnea, but it's never happened QUITE often enough for me to be extremely concerned... and if I hold off doing the breathing tic long enough, it eventually begins to feel like I'll smother or suffocate, so that's why I've lately thought that it might be the tic or rather, the premonitory urge, happening in my sleep. But I guess I just don't know for sure.

If you had the sleep test done and it was apnea. Treatment would have you wear a cpap mask that forces hair into your nose while you sleep. I would think that would be sooooo hard to get used. I can't stand anything attached to my face to begin with

When my son's tics were at their most severe and he had trouble falling asleep, I would lay on the bed next to him. I could tell the second he fell asleep because his body would go entirely limp immediately and he was totally quiet and peaceful. Then I would feel that temporary sense of relief for him. His neurologist told me that tics don't actually stop, but that they just become almost undetectable at night. At that point I was grateful for undetectable. I believe that was about 6 or 7 years ago. He has been on the clonidine or tenex since then with very good results. He will be 18 on Saturday.

Grammy