Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homeschool Daily Routine for Special Needs Children

Default Homeschool Daily Routine for Special Needs Children

Hi,

I've seen other posts on how others schedule their days and what routines they typically follow but I wanted to post the question again specifically to those of you who are homeschooling children with special needs.

I'm getting ready to start homeschooling in September through a Distance Learning program meaning we will be following the provincial curriculum and getting support and supervision from a certified teacher. Still I'm a little nervous about getting things done at home.

My son just turned 7 and has Tourette's, ADHD with a sprinkle of OCD. When my son has a bad spell of ticcing, mood swings and hyperactivity my daughter's anxiety gets triggered and she gets very emotional and needy and suffers from major separation anxiety. These are the main reasons we will be homeschooling in the fall.

What makes things tricky is that I also have ADD (in the process of getting official diagnoses and possibly medication) so I myself struggle mightily with keeping any sort of routine - especially when I'm the one in charge of it and it's not imposed upon me by a boss or other authority figure.

I started seeing a Psychologist recently who is helping me sort out and cope with the stress and mayhem that having children with special needs creates in your life. We are going through an especially rough patch of trying to find the right meds for DS. What helps his ADHD makes his Tourette's worse and what helps his Tourette's makes him have really bad mood swings (depressed, irritable, angry) and so far we have not found the right mix.

As I write this he is having a really bad spell of tics where he grunts, clears his throat, coughs loudly, twitches and sometimes shouts out suddenly. It's so loud sometimes that DD takes my smartphone and her headphones and hides in the closet to watch Netflix movies. I don't blame her. Sometimes I wish I could do the same. Obviously my poor son can't help it but knowing that doesn't make his tics and behavior easier to cope with.

We've started seeing a Homeopathic doctor who has recommended a bunch of supplements and homeopathic remedies but finances are real tight just now so I haven't been able to buy everything yet but that's where we are headed. The Dr said that it may take some time (ie several months and sometimes up to a year) to see a considerable difference in a case as complex as his.

All that to say that we definitely need some sort of routine or nothing will ever get done (Trust me on this. Since DS has been on summer break we've had many days of doing absolutely nothing at all. Then I feel guilty for not having gotten them out of the house or done something - anything! - productive). At the same time we need to have plenty of flexibility in case we are having a bad day health-wise.

How do you all deal with keeping a routine and getting things done when faced with health challenges? Any tips you can share of things that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

My Psychologist asked me to put together a sample routine which I've been following VERY LOOSELY (and some days not at all) for the last two weeks and I'm really struggling. There's a part of me (probably that ADD part of me) that seriously rebels and revolts against schedules. How am I ever going to teach my children discipline and good work habits when I'm SO BAD and inconsistent on both fronts?

Here's my daily schedule as of now. Again this is just meant to be daily routines to give us some structure but still allow for stuff like dr's appointments, special work projects etc.

5:30 AM - Mom Wakes Up
    5:30 AM - 7:00 AM - Mom time (Workout/Yoga/Quiet time) [I've already been doing this most week days]
    7:00 - Mom showers and gets dressed
    7:30 AM - 8:30 AM - Mom/Kids Breakfast & Get kids dressed
    8:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Kids Free Time (TV, Video Games etc) + Mom Work time (I work from home)
    10:00 AM to Noon - Screens Off! Morning activity with kids / Homeschool time starting in fall
    Noon to 1:00 PM - Lunch time/a little bit of screen time
    1:00 PM - 3:00 PM - Screens Off! Afternoon activity (preferably outside weather permitting) / Homeschool time starting in fall
    3:00 PM - 4:00 PM - Chores time (see daily clean up schedule)
    4:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Kids Free Time / Mom work time
    5:00 - 7:00 PM - Kids dinner time and cooking adult dinner (we don't typically eat with the kids since they eat too early for us and we like having that couple time)
    7:00 PM - 7:15 PM - Kids bedtime routine
    7:15 PM - 9:30 PM - Dinner with hubby and adult down time
    9:30 PM - Mom's Bedtime

Daily Clean Up Chores (goal of 45 minutes of clean up)

Mondays - Living Room & Dining Room (Vaccum, dust, tidy up)
    Tuesdays - Kitchen (vaccum & mop floors, fridge clean up, counter declutter)
    Wednesdays - Master Bedroom (vaccum, dust, wash bed linens, tidy up)
    Thursdays - Kids Rooms (vaccum, dust, wash bed linens)
    Fridays - Bathrooms & Laundry

Are you laughing yet? I mean, it looks so great (and attainable) on paper but I can't seem to make myself stick to it.

Looking forward to the group's feedback. Thanks in advance.

Victoria

Default Re: Homeschool Daily Routine for Special Needs Children

Oh Victoria! It seems as though you are writing about my life! When you have a resolution, please let me know!

I homeschool both our boys (6 & 9). We just started this past December and then had a baby in February. Between that, bed rest, and suspecting ADD in myself, we have gone through different routines and curriculum & still not sure how this next year will pan out. But I know it will be ok. I've heard that a lot of the first year and sometimes even the second year can be just figuring out what works. So I'm giving myself & the boys some time to figure it all out. I've written so many schedules & so many plans, but something always seems to mess them up

I know I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

---------- Post Merged at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Oh!!! If you're on Facebook, then join the group "Homeschoolers of kids with Tourette Syndrome"! It really is a great group!

Quote Originally Posted by davispenn View Post
    I homeschool both our boys (6 & 9). We just started this past December and then had a baby in February. Between that, bed rest, and suspecting ADD in myself, we have gone through different routines and curriculum & still not sure how this next year will pan out. But I know it will be ok.
    Oh!!! If you're on Facebook, then join the group "Homeschoolers of kids with Tourette Syndrome"! It really is a great group!
    Shannon, you an I need to keep in touch since we are on such similar journeys. Your plate is fuller than mine, though! Thanks for the support. Hopefully we'll have others pipe in with suggestions.

I also just requested membership to the Facebook group you mentioned. Thanks for the reccomendation.

One thing that works for us is visual learning. Whatever he is studying that week in whatever subject we take field trips and go to the museum or find something in the area that he can go and learn more about the subject. In the US, the civil war is a big part of social studies up thru 5th grade and we live in Georgia so I have taken him to every Civil War museum there is. Science is the same. English or grammar I have enrolled him in multiple programs for homeschooled children. We have a cultural arts center nearby that does a really good job of supplementing the curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
    One thing that works for us is visual learning. Whatever he is studying that week in whatever subject we take field trips and go to the museum or find something in the area that he can go and learn more about the subject.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be doing learning field trips as often as possible.