Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recently diagnosed 12 year old with minimal to no tics

Default Recently diagnosed 12 year old with minimal to no tics

Hello Everyone, my son has recently been diagnosed with TS (prior diagnosis of ADHD). What I'm struggling with is the idea that he really doesn't have any tics that I notice or anyone else notices. The Cs. noticed a slight raising of the eyebrow during meetings. Wondering if this is "normal" or if he should be experiencing more obvious/severe tics before such a diagnosis? New to this so I really appreciate any feedback! Michelle

Default Re: Recently diagnosed 12 year old with minimal to no tics

Hello Michelle and welcome to the Forum!

What is a Cs?

Symptoms of Tourette can be subtle or extremely overt, while some children ans people with Tourette can even suppress many of their tics when in the presence of others.

Vocal tics can be as unobtrusive as a frequent cough or sniffing for example.

Has your son been seen by a medical professional with clinical experience with Tourette Syndrome?

Were you present during your son's interview with the person who made the diagnosis?

Were you interviewed by this person?

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Should of said Counsellor (Cs.) ...we see someone at a mental health organization in our community along with a Psychiatrist. Lots and lots of interviews by both Counsellors and Psychiatrist. We have been working with them since my son was about 5 at which time he was diagnosed with ADHD. I've been doing lots of reading about tics and I still don't see anything that I can think of that might be considered a tic besides the slight raising of eyebrows which usually only happens when he is in a counseling session. In your experience, could a tic be picking at skin? I do see that he does that a lot now. What I thought were ADHD symptoms are actually being considered under the tourettes syndrome - does that make sense to you? Sounds like I need to ask more questions to the Psychiatrist as well. Appreciate your feedback. Michelle

Michelle,

As you can appreciate, it's impossible to make a determination about symptoms from a distance. An accurate diagnosis for Tourette can only be made by a medical professional in a face to face interview who can observe your son, and who can interview you to competently evaluate your son's symptoms.

You should also qualify the competence of the medical professional you consult to determine how many cases of Tourette s/he has actually seen. Many medical professional simply have not had adequate clinical experience with Tourette to make a competent diagnosis.

This is especially important in your son's case where his symptoms seem to be subtle, and there may be other confounding symptoms that need to be accurately differentiated.

Your son may or may not have a Tourette diagnosis, but that doesn't preclude other associated or even non associated diagnoses.

Children with Tourette are sometimes and even frequently diagnosed with associated or co-morbid conditions, namely ADD, OCD, anxiety, even depression .

This is commonly referred to as Tourette Plus.

It is for these reasons you need to qualify the experience with Tourette of the practitioner who is seeing your son.

Hi Steve, thanks for your help and knowledge on this forum.... I wanted to know if muscle spasms are part of the tics, my son has started having very painful leg and arm spasms. I have started giving him magnesium in a small dose hoping that would help. He is on citalopram (for almost 5 months) and Seroquil for approx 2 months. I was wondering as well could it be a side effect of the meds?

Quote Originally Posted by michy1466 View Post
    Hello Everyone, my son has recently been diagnosed with TS (prior diagnosis of ADHD). What I'm struggling with is the idea that he really doesn't have any tics that I notice or anyone else notices. The Cs. noticed a slight raising of the eyebrow during meetings. Wondering if this is "normal" or if he should be experiencing more obvious/severe tics before such a diagnosis? New to this so I really appreciate any feedback! Michelle
    ---------- Post Merged at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:47 PM ----------

If your son has been diagnosed, either the diagnosis is wrong (there should be a vocal tic too) or the doctor saw something that you didn't see. I started blinking my eyes and blowing my nose (sniff vocal tic) at 6 or 7 and the tics got worse as I got older. I pretended to myself that everyone had to blow their nose as often as I did, but that others were better at covering it up. As I got older, the tics got worse, but always just from the nose up. Then I developed a sensory tic in my nose that made me feel like someone was trying to hold my head under water. Tics from TS aren't always from the limbs. I am now 68 and the tics have gotten steadily worse, but pretty well controlled with strong medication. I think I am the exception rather than the norm. Ask your son if he is suppressing tics. Ask him if he has unpleaant sensations. Those might be sensory tics. BTW, I never had any other component of the syndrome, such as ADHD or OCD. Good luck, and your son is a precious child to be loved regardless of what is beyond his control. This may take a lot of effort, but kids need all the positive feedback they can get.