Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Job & Keeping It

Post Getting a Job & Keeping It

EMPLOYMENT
    Getting a Job and Keeping It

Mitzi Waltz
    Tourette Syndrome Association(U.S.)

Need to get a job? Worried about keeping the one you have?

People with TS share these concerns with everyone else in the workplace, but for their own special reasons. Although some people do suffer muscle pains, hoarseness or even injuries due to tics, TS is rarely “disabling” in the usual sense of the word. More often, it’s social attitudes about physical and vocal tics that make trouble, and work is one place this trouble tends to boil over.

Attached is the full article that addresses many of the issues and concerns involved in employment challenges for a person with Tourette Syndrome.

What has been your experience with your current employer, or when you interviewed for employment?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Getting a Job & Keeping It

Hello
    I'm just returning after a lengthy absence, so nice to read all of these great encouraging posts. I'm seeking resources and information on tourette plus in adults in the workplace. I've been really struggling at work with technical aspects of the job due to continued interrogation about my disability and such.

Oddly I'm a child and family therapist and I take most of our cases of Td and OCD. Recently I am concerned they will fire me, although all reports as an actual therapist are all positive.... The agency is wrought with stress and very critical and I feel strange admitting this but it feels like I'm singled out due to my disability.

My co-workers all agree that it appears the agency is not supportive and borders on creating an unsafe environment for me. However, I'm not sure how to better explain Tourette plus and how their constant scapegoating and criticism impacts me more than someone without TD.

As an example I was written up for numerous isolated and questionable communication errors that all therapists do daily. Again, my actual therapy and consultation in schools is seen as excellent. and not in question, .. But I'm berated with this other daily and this is really triggering.i notice that I'm feeling so afraid of making an error in the computer system that I get nauseas when I open my work computer or request work orders for clients them tics increase.

While I have some job opportunities in other areas I need to stay on this job for at least a few months more as I need the insurance due to medical issues. I have a meeting with HR on Monday so any advice is welcome.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Steve; November 13, 2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: re-format

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Hello
    I'm just returning after a lengthy absence, so nice to read all of these great encouraging posts.
    Hi and welcome back to the forum.

But I'm berated with this other daily and this is really triggering.i notice that I'm feeling so afraid of making an error in the computer system that I get nauseas when I open my work computer or request work orders for clients them tics increase. While I have some job opportunities in other areas I need to stay on this job for at least a few months more as I need the insurance due to medical issues. I have a meeting with HR on Monday so any advice is welcome.
    Thank you!
    Honestly it hurts me to hear your story, for one because I can relate. And we're pretty much the same age. I'm lucky/unlucky to be on disability for the past 6 years now but still remember how "diversified" all work places can be. (In other words how people are so different from the donkey's behind to the compassionate and all the types in between the two)

If you were Canadian I would say tell them to take the job and shove it where the sun doesn't shine and take one of the open opportunities where you can find peace and a more acceptable/accommodating and especially more respectful workplace. But the American medical system and the need for health insurance scares the living daylights out of me and I'm Canadian.

The only advice I can offer is to take the advice given in the article in this thread and start with a introspection. TS+ can be extremely difficult for many people to tolerate on a constant basis. Look at how stressful their reactions to your TS+ affects you and then put yourself in their shoes (not everyone has TS but everyone has things that can irritate them causing undue stress.)

You are stressed out, that's not hard to see! and we know how that can set any of our Tics or comorbid "little issues" through the roof. So your main focus is your mental and physical health. extreme and constant stress are big risk factors for heart attacks and strokes and many more negative health issues. You need to first find a way to reduce your stress levels. There are many ways and there is also medication that can help in the short term and some for the long run.

As for tomorrow, try and be positive. Focus on not being on the defensive (that triggers attack mode) be open and show an accommodating and open mind. It's the only thing that can catch someone off guard in your favor. HR usually expects a defensive/attack response. And avoid blaming or accusing anyone of anything. You can express how you feel about certain situations or other people's actions/reactions to your tics and or other issues but if you accuse anyone of anything then you become the bad guy and nothing good ever comes out of that.

I wish you all the best and please update us on how things go.
    Warmest Regards,
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Journey
    seeking resources and information on tourette plus in adults in the workplace
    Because there are a number of legislative safeguards in the U.S. for individuals requiring special needs accommodations in the U.S. I would suggest you contact the Tourette Association of America (TAA) to inquire about resources in your State. They can also point you to the local TAA Chapter that might be able to help.

To get information about Tourette Plus, the definitive website is the Leslie Packer PhD website Tourette Syndrome Plus

As you are probably aware, Tourette Plus, or the associated (comorbid) conditions of Tourette are numerous and complex, most of which are described in the Forum section on Associated disorders

If you were to work your way through those resources of the Forum you should have a pretty good handle on Tourette Plus.

Have you been diagnosed with any of the associated (comorbid) disorders in addition to your Tourette diagnosis?

Are you receiving any form of treatment or therapy to help manage your own symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    To get information about Tourette Plus, the definitive website is the Leslie Packer PhD website Tourette Syndrome Plus
    Not sure if this is considered hijacking the thread but because of your previous comment (you know I just had to go have a peek...) I don't know how I stumbled on the link to this book there, but I did:

"New book for your reference shelf on Tourette Syndrome!"

Tourette Syndrome 1 Reprint Edition 2013
    by Davide Martino (Editor), James F. Leckman (Editor)

So, as one of my comorbidities took over I just had to click on the links posted then convert the amazon.com link to see if available at Amazon.ca which it was.

Hard Cover, (not the type of reference manual I would want in electronic form anyway)
    Heads up not your average inexpensive book!

As for the US sites I don't even want to dare seeing how low our CDN dollar is now so I didn't bother converting to CDN $$$.

The book is available now from Oxford University Press : ($175 + 10$ shipping US$)
    https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...?cc=ca&lang=en

at amazon.com (rent for 70$ US or buy for 175$ US)
    https://www.amazon.com/Tourette-Synd...uretsyndroplus

at amazom.ca - currently put of stock - (171.95 CDN - when available) Go figure cheaper than the US sites when our dollar is only worth a few pesos LOL
    https://www.amazon.ca/Tourette-Syndr...uretsyndroplus

NOW Amazon.ca is out of stock ALL because of YOU and MY OCD

I mean seriously, How could I resist another free month trial of Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping, a 15% discount on top of an already discounted price of $127.39 for the last available book....
    for a grant total 0f $113.69 CDN all inclusive!

Now watch them have inventory issues again and not have or find the book... I have had so many issues with Amazon order fulfillment it's insane. But their customer service is awesome. Whenever I have an issue with them or any other company now I start by apologizing in advance if I can be/seem overwhelming and hyper and I briefly explain my neurological and psychological condition and the anxiety and stress it creates. IE: How an anthill can seem like an unsurmountable mountain. When advised and approached respectfully most people are extremely understanding and compassionate and more than willing to go out of their way to ensure that your problem is resolved.

I know this book will be a technical challenge being academically focused but it's time my brain gets a functional learning challenge again! I can already smell my brain frying if my hyper focus and stubbornness (my best bud is kind, he calls me "driven") take over, but If I'm ever going to be able to be of any help whatsoever to anyone (especially me and my GP... the shrink is a lost cause LOL) I might as well start leaning as much as I can about TS and TS+.

P.S> If this post should be in it's own thread then I hope one of the mods or admins will kindly correct this for me and help me along my learning curve.
    Gary
    CRY and CRY again!"

Thank you Gary for your helpful words about my job situation! I appreciate the input and it's always nice to get some new resources.

Thank you Steve. Yes I have the trifecta ADD, OCD and tics. I'm taking clonidine after a 3 month short term disability, and I use various self care strategies. I've spent allot of time with HR and things are a bit better. I work in crisis and trauma and serve several clients with TS plus so I REALLY struggle when society is unwilling to use a less judgemental lens. Funny how TD is so invasive and it seems that I'm learning more and more about its impact on my life .

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Thank you Steve. Yes I have the trifecta ADD, OCD and tics. I'm taking clonidine after a 3 month short term disability, and I use various self care strategies. I've spent allot of time with HR and things are a bit better. I work in crisis and trauma and serve several clients with TS plus so I REALLY struggle when society is unwilling to use a less judgemental lens. Funny how TD is so invasive and it seems that I'm learning more and more about its impact on my life .
    Hi Journey,
    Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. As far as the "trifecta" is concerned I'd be curious to see how many adults with TS don't have all three... But there is little to no research that concerns adults.

I'm also on clonidine currently .1mg 3x a day. I find it has been a great addition with clonazepam (in my case) and I need so less clonazepam since I'm on both meds. I take 1mg in the morning (safety net) lately and then if something gets me anxious then I take as needed.

I'm really happy to hear that you were able to work things out with HR. I know it will never be perfect but any step forward is a victory (for all). As Steve always says it's our job to advocate and educate. The more people know and understand the better the chances of some type of tolerance and compassion rising from it. It won't happen all at once and not everyone will be less judgemental but those that know and understand and accept our "uniqueness" will also advocate and educate on our behalf.

Have a great day,
    Gary
    CRY and CRY again!"

Journey, what you wrote about your role as a therapist, working with others with Tourette, was interesting. I'll tell you what it brought to mind: I've read that women in academia get thrust into a role of supporting students more than male professors, and this can make it more difficult for women to get tenure, because they end up spending so much time supporting students instead of doing research and publishing.

I was glad to hear HR seems to be taking a positive role. (As well they should!)

Thanks for the support. Since I have my license now (on Dec 5) I can attempt to pursue other jobs in my field, but get away from the high levels of stress and extreme expectations of agency work. It's a day by day for me, oddly I was on disability last Dec for TD plus and this Dec had also been a challenge. There is so much to learn and understand about TD. I really appreciate this site and the support and excellent info.