Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do people with Tourettes speak loud?

Default Do people with Tourettes speak loud?

I have tourettes syndrome, and I speak very loud. I don't mean loud vocal tics, but the actual volume of my voice. I've gone to different hearing doctors, and they have all told me I hear fine. Does anyone know if there is a common link between tourettes and loudness. Thank you

Tics in New York(Nickname lol)

Default Re: Do people with tourettes speak loud?

I have not heard of a correlation between loud speech and Tourette Syndrome, if it is the usual way in which you speak.

A tic is generally described as “…a sudden, rapid, recurrent, non-rhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization”

Have you ever consulted a speech therapist for an opinion?

You might find this article Loud talkers: Why do some voices seem to be set at top volume? - NBC News.com of interest.

Default Re: Do people with tourettes speak loud?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I have not heard of a correlation between loud speech and Tourette Syndrome, if it is the usual way in which you speak.

A tic is generally described as “…a sudden, rapid, recurrent, non-rhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization”

Have you ever consulted a speech therapist for an opinion?

You might find this article Loud talkers: Why do some voices seem to be set at top volume? - NBC News.com of interest.

My son also seems to talk loudly at times and the volume goes up the faster he talks...

Default Re: Do people with Tourettes speak loud?

My son also seems to talk loudly at times and the volume goes up the faster he talks...
    Interestingly so do I especially when I talk about something that irks me.....perhaps has something to do with getting emotionally excited about the topic.

I suppose if he speaks in an appropriate volume when he feels calm, the loud fast speech might be attributed to emotion or stress.

Has your son ever been taught relaxation exercises, such as diaphragmatic breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, stretching or imagery in any of his therapeutic sessions?

In my opinion, yes. My 6 yo son, undiagnosed as yet, is always always loud. It is one of the reasons we overlooked his shouting tics for so long. Also, most ADHD kids I know shout, and apparently ADHD can be a concomitant issue with tourettes. So although tourettes itself may not be the reason it is certainly an issue with our son and always has been. Perhaps he is filtering his need to vocalise through this method of talking, just guessing at this stage. I'm still trying to figure out how to distinguish a tic from behavioural choices. If he screams right in his sister's ear or spits on her that's not ok.

I'm still trying to figure out how to distinguish a tic from behavioural choices. If he screams right in his sister's ear or spits on her that's not ok.

Agreed! This is where a child with Tourette needs to understand that tic symptoms are not a license to be socially inappropriate. There can be ways of expressing the tic without violating another's rights.

As a six year old, when self awareness may not be fully developed, a spitting tic can be moderated by carrying a handkerchief and spitting into it. Yelling into someone's ear is not right, but yelling into his own cupped hand could be an option. He could carry a teddy bear or towel and yell into the towel.

As he gets older and if behavioural therapy is seen as being appropriate, he can learn behavioural strategies to help manage those intrusive tics.

I also have trouble gauging volume.mostly quiet and either I make no conversation or lots, changing dynamically based on excitement ( which is normal in any mammal) However I always thought of my tonal and volume issues as an aspergers esque trait, dont quote me on it though.

It's also possible that talking loud could be related to a small amount of hearing loss. For example, I had a lot of ear infections as a child, and eventually had tubes put in. Unfortunately, between the surgery and the repeated infections, there's scar tissue in my inner ear, which impacts my hearing. As such, I often speak louder than necessary, simply because I can't gauge my own volume well.

I have problems being too loud and sometimes I even catch myself when I do it.

It could be the TS. From my perspective the TS makes everything more intense so my reactions, including chosen volume, can sometimes be a little more intense than I intend. It's also possible that ADHD (if you have that too) can be involved as the hyperactive element can be a driving force for similar intensity.