Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homework

Default Homework

Does anyone else have problems with Homework meltdowns. My son who as TS and ADHD is compulsive about getting his homework done, but he rushes through it and does the least amount that is acceptable. This is fine for math because he gets it done and all correct.

Written assignments are much more difficult. I try to "chunk" it down for him but he insists on doing it all at once. He is in a state of "hyper" arousal and cannot calm down until he knows that it is complete. He is so focussed on getting it "done" that he cannot concentrate on doing a decent job on the work.

He is very bright so he as managed until recently but the assignments are getting much more complex, multi-step and involved.

He will have huge meltdowns that involve tears, screaming insults at anyone around, throwing things etc.

Has anyone else had experiences like this? It isn't an attention issues, it seems more a result of impulsiveness/obsession related?

Would appreciate any input/experience any of the other members may have.
    Last edited by Dreamer; January 15, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typos

Post Re: Homework

Dreamer,

You may find some of the following website resources informative:

How to Prevent a Homework Meltdown (NY Metro Parents Magazine)

The Parent Backpack 10 Steps to Fewer Homework Meltdowns

Handling Tantrums and Meltdowns: Whats a Parent to Do? | Child Mind Institute

As well as the attached relevant articles.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Homework

Thanks Steve:

These are great tips for neuro-typical kids. All these strategies should also be used for TS-plus kids, but they are not quite enough. It may be that a pharmaceutical solution in addition to these strategies is the way to go???

My son is already on clonidine which helps with his tics, but doesn't seems to do much for impulsiveness, frustration tolerance, flexibility etc.

How old is your son, Dreamer? Has he ever received any form of therapy or counseling to deal with his TS associated issues?

Are there activities that he finds enjoyable, where he can immerse himself for a long time, feel calm and persist in the activity with interest?

My son is 9 years old and in grade 4. He can focus on activities he finds interesting. He can read for long period (a book of his choosing), lego etc. He is a great skier, a blue belt in karate and he can even focus at school because he likes it.

We do see a psychologist who specializes in TS. I was just interested if other families have similar issues around homework with kids that have TSplus and if they had any suggestions.

I used to experience a similar frustration, particularly around assignments that were too open-ended. For example, my Dad used to try and help me improve my writing skills by asking me to write a story, but because I didn't really have enough context, I got very frustrated.

If your son is finding writing assignments frustrating, maybe he needs the scope narrowed. For example, if he's supposed to write a page about what he did over the summer, perhaps narrow the scope by suggesting he write about one particular thing that happened over the summer.

Thanks GardenerMatt:

Narrowing the scope definitely helps. I am thinking also of only presenting one aspect of a project to him at a time. Eg. Today we will brainstorm on topics to write about, the next step would be to write a introductory sentence. For some reason he gets overwhelmed by the whole and then doesn't have the capacity to work on each step. (he gets fixated on "write a whole story- I can't to that!!!). He has a very "sticky" brain.

Thanks for your input.

If you have an iep you can add that his homework load be reduced or removed. My aunt's son has ADD and his iep removed homework.