Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Ah, but he's always had Tourette's" ... help me understand this comment, please

Default "Ah, but he's always had Tourette's" ... help me understand this comment, please

Here's the context: I was at a school special education meeting and the school physician stated some generalizations about Tourette children's ease or difficulty with school work and concentration versus children with ADHD. (Mine has been diagnosed with both -- and this physician works in the same group with my son's pediatrician, but doesn't know my son personally.) I shared my observations about my son's present ability to concentrate, compared with what I saw a couple of years ago, before he was given the TS diagnosis and only had an ADHD diagnosis. The physician remarked, "Well, if he has Tourette's now, he had it then too -- he's always had it."

What do you guys think about that remark? I've been scratching my head about it ever since. What do you think she meant, do you agree, and what point do you think she was trying to make? I'm confused.

Default Re: "Ah, but he's always had Tourette's" ... help me understand this comment, please

Not sure if I understand your question, Aparente. Are you asking whether the predisposition for Tourette may not go back to birth, or does the question refer to ability to concentrate and whether this is related to Tourette or ADHD?

I may not get back to this discussion for a day or two, as I will be offline while in transit.

Default Re: "Ah, but he's always had Tourette's" ... help me understand this comment, please

I don't know what she meant. She didn't say, "he's always been predisposed." She said, "if he has Tourette's now, he's always had Tourette's." I just don't know what to make of that.

No hurry with this question. It's been in the back of my mind since the incident happened in early December.

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:22 PM ----------

And related to that... I sometimes wonder if my son's tics would have reached the point of out and out Tourette's if his teacher last year hadn't been so intolerant of his need to move, make sounds, and use fidget items.

Here's another way of putting this question. I have read that many of the young people who get diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome were previously diagnosed with ADHD. (As was my son.) So have any studies been done of, say, six and seven-year-olds with ADHD, to see if environmental factors (such as teachers who act like little Stalins) have any effect on whether or not a Tourette's diagnosis is given a few years later? Can I write that last question like this:

Have any studies been done of six and seven-year-olds with ADHD, to see if environmental factors play a role in determining whether Tourette Syndrome develops subsequently?

If I go by what the school physician said, would it even make sense to talk about TS "developing?" If she is right, then wouldn't I have to talk about TS "being detected," rather than "developing?"

Are there any studies that try to predict which six-year-olds with ADHD will end up with TS and which won't?

Quote Originally Posted by aparente001 View Post
    Here's the context: I was at a school special education meeting and the school physician stated some generalizations about Tourette children's ease or difficulty with school work and concentration versus children with ADHD. (Mine has been diagnosed with both -- and this physician works in the same group with my son's pediatrician, but doesn't know my son personally.) I shared my observations about my son's present ability to concentrate, compared with what I saw a couple of years ago, before he was given the TS diagnosis and only had an ADHD diagnosis. The physician remarked, "Well, if he has Tourette's now, he had it then too -- he's always had it."

What do you guys think about that remark? I've been scratching my head about it ever since. What do you think she meant, do you agree, and what point do you think she was trying to make? I'm confused.
    ---------- Post Merged at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:51 PM ----------

A person manifests symptoms of Tourette syndrome usually between the ages of 5-21. But since it is genetic, they always had it. Pressure from a teacher cannot "cause" TS to happen, but it can make the symptoms worse.

Quote Originally Posted by caramia
    A person manifests symptoms of Tourette syndrome usually between the ages of 5-21. But since it is genetic, they always had it. Pressure from a teacher cannot "cause" TS to happen, but it can make the symptoms worse.
    Precisely! For those of us who eventually express symptoms of Tourette Syndrome, our brains are wired differently from birth. As brain development takes place, for reasons that are not yet clearly understood, as Caramia alludes to, symptoms tend to emerge around the age of five to early adolescence, with the bulk of children displaying signs and symptoms between approximately four and eight.