Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homeschooling

Default Homeschooling

Hello, thanks again for this wonderful forum!!
    Our oldest is 12 in grade 7, dx of TS Plus, ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, Depression, Dysgraphia, Tremors, Cyclic Vomiting and is the greatest kid!! He loves to read and learn, is honest, kind caring and creative. We are about to embark on homeschooling for the rest of this year and looking into the fall as well. We have decided to go the basic or traditional route. We live in Alberta and have done bouts of catching up on classwork at home throughout this school years. Just looking for advice and tips on what has and hasn't worked for others out there and what supports are available. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Homeschooling

Welcome to the Forum, Greenelephant!

I don't have experience with homeschooling, but hopefully some of our members will have insights to offer.

Have you been in contact with local TSFC affiliates in Alberta?

You may be interested in the attached article from TSA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have the second page of the article, it is good! I have talked to our TS affiliate here in alberta and several parents, we've looked at this as an option before. Currently my main focus is to ease the anxiety and tics and ocd so he can learn, he will read all day at home. At school he spends all day holding in tics, dealing with bullies and generally trying to cope with the day. We also want him to learn a speech to text program and I was told the school would do it and its may and they have spent 15 mins teaching him this, i just took the training myself and my goal is to have him using the program at least to do basic questions on the computer by fall. We'll see how it works for now I'm just bringing his anxiety down, getting him lots of exercize, outdoor adventure learning and daily routines at home during the day back on track after the last bit of chaos.!!

Do you have the second page of the article
    I see what you mean..I didn't notice the missing page. I'll call my friends at TSA tomorrow and see if I can get it.

Will respond to your other points later as I have to go out....wife is waiting for me..

Steve

On an anecdotal basis, I know that there are a few members of the TSFC that homeschool, for a variety of reasons. Maybe the office could help with some introductions, if those folks would be willing to chat?

Thanks to the Tourette Association Office that sent me the full newsletter containing the complete Homeschooling article, the newsletter can be viewed and / or downloaded HERE

This is a sizeable download (approx 9 MB PDF document)

What part of Alberta are you in? We are west of Edmonton. Out here, PSD70 has a combined school/home school program. The kids attend the school 2 times a week, and take the basic subjects (science, math, etc) and take some at home. From what I understand they even provide training for parents and some home support. The classes are very small. Grades 1,3,5 are in one class, 2,4,6 in another, 7-9 yet another. We are just at the beginning of this journey with our son. He is only in grade 1, and his teacher has been great at accommodating him, but we are looking at getting him some additional support. If he struggles next year we are going to look at the combined home school. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions and I will see what I can find.