Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this a tic?

Exclamation Is this a tic?

Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to share with you the scarey new tics my daughter has developed. She looks at us with wide eyes, looks both ways and bolts out the door and down the street. I fear this may become dangerous as she could end up in front of a car or something. She will also try to open the car door while I'm driving and get out. She does better when she is driving because she can focus.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks everyone.
    Caralee

Default Re: Is this a tic?

CaraleeJoy, this sounds really scary. These symptoms must be very distressing for her.

I would suggest that you and your daughter have a discussion of what things can be done to ensure that she doesn't injure herself when she has these impulses. Things like putting a large piece of cardboard and other barriers between the seat and the door of your car to make it difficult to be able to access the door handle. Hopefully, in the time it would take to actually be able to get to the door, the impulse would recede and she would be able to stop herself.

It seems possible to me that the longer it would take to enact something dangerous, the more likely that she would be able to get control over the impulse to do it. We've had other members here who have talked about tics involving dangerous things; I hope some of them will chime in.

Caraleejoy,

It may help in differentiating among the various manifestations of Tourette Syndrome and associated disorders by considering the following:

What is a tic?

According to DSM-5, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders the diagnostic tool used by physicians to classify and define diagnoses:

A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic motor movement or vocalization

Tics are functionally muscular contractions, usually expressed to their maximum, meaning the muscle is contacted or extended to the outer edge of its range. So an arm movement might swing from one extreme of its rotation to the other, or a vocal tic, which is the expression of the vocal cords ( they are muscles) might be expressed as a shrill scream or loud shouted word.

On the other hand the kind of behaviour you describe might fall into the the category of obsessions compulsions. My use of the the word behaviour is not meant to suggest it's voluntary behaviour, but rather a symptom that should be assessed by a medical professional to determine what if any associated disorders might be afflicting your daughter.

Additional insights into this topic might be found in two of Dr. Leslie Packer's resources:

Common Tics of Tourette Syndrome

and

Is It Symptoms or Behaviour??

as well as:

Tics vs Compulsions

You might also want to read some of the posts in the Forum's OCD section

in particular:

Tourette Syndrome and OCD: Re-Examining the Relationship

Thank-you!
    I think its been a reaction to her medication. She initially bolted soon after starting on Intunive. The compulsion or whatever we will call it seemed to ease up after she was on it for a wee bit. Then we upped her dose...and again...zoom. In the past 5 days she hasn't done it. I'm keeping tabs on all of her tics. Our first appointment with our tourettes psychiatrist isn't until July 23. We asked if we could perhaps boost that up but haven't heard anything.
    Thanks again for your input. This is such a great forum.
    Blessings,
    Caralee

CaraleeJoy,

I need to correct a term I used incorrectly in post #3.

I was distracted and instead of writing the word compulsion, I wrote, incorrectly the word obsession.....both terms are sometimes together, but in this context the former was the applicable term. The correction was made in Post #3.

It should have read:

On the other hand the kind of behaviour you describe might fall into the the category of compulsions.

Hi CaraleeJoy.

She looks at us with wide eyes, looks both ways and bolts out the door and down the street...She will also try to open the car door while I'm driving and get out. She does better when she is driving because she can focus.
    These definitely sound like compulsions with (likely with related internal obsessions) to me. One weird aspect of TS and some other conditions is a tendency to obsessively analyze a tense situation, it's amazing to my how many videos about people with TS show obsessive thoughts and compulsions about tense situations that involve worst things that might happen. Is she worried about driving situations for some reason?

Opening a car door and running away is not a tic. It's just too complicated and meaningful. It sounds like a compulsion to me (and not just me, as you can see above). However, if the medication changes the behavior, then it should be very easy to fix - stop the meds, or get the levels right so this is not a side effect. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not saying to stop the meds - but it is an option that must always be on the bottom of the list. I'm a fan of well prescribed effective medications, when the side effects are reasonable. Jumping out of a car... well, that sounds kinda serious. Good luck!
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

My daughter also will take off and run with no ability to control it. Her movement disorders are medication induced so I wonder if that is why they are both experiencing the running?