Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Professor Douglas Woods Gives London Seminars on CBIT (U.K.)

Thumbs up Professor Douglas Woods Gives London Seminars on CBIT (U.K.)

Professor Doug Woods Gives London Seminars
    Posted on 30 June 2014
    by Diane Schadenberg
    Tourettes Action

Interactive seminars about Comprehensive Behavioural Intervention for Tics (CBITS)

Tourettes Action organised two events in June 2014. One for professionals on Friday 13/14th and another for parents/caregivers on Saturday 14th June about Behavior Therapy for Tourette Syndrome. The psychologist Professor Doug Woods from Texas A&M University gave both presentations. Professor Doug Woods is the author of Managing Tourette Syndrome: A Behavioural Intervention. Professionals from CAMHS and the NHS as well as private practitioners learned about the CBITS technique used to help people with TS manage their tics. There were 20 new CBITS providers trained by Doug Woods on the professionals day.

Prof Woods gave a background as to what TS is and how it is diagnosed. He spoke about Comprehensive Behavioural Intervention for Tics (CBITS).

Both European and Canadian guidelines for the treatment of TS indicate CBIT/HRT (habit reversal therapy) should be first line treatment, but often it is not given this priority.

Prof Woods spoke about management of tics and that they can be made more frequent by social reactions towards the tics. He proposed that parental attention or comfort as well as peer attention may reinforce tics. Tics may provide an unconscious escape from an aversive situation, such as having to stand and read in front of a class in school. He suggested that these things could lead to a reduction of the premonitory urge as a result of a tic. This premonitory urge is a useful aspect of tics which behavioural therapy can use to help control tics. Prof Woods also made the point that tics can be made less frequent by reinforcing suppression of tics. Potential reinforcers for suppression could include avoidance of teasing, the person with TS being able to participate in a social activity or sport and the avoidance of embarrassment.

It was interesting to learn that there are some myths about behavioural therapy and Prof Woods gave convincing research evidence to dispel them.He said that sometimes patients or families had a misplaced belief that there could be rebound effects from therapy and that by attempting to stop tics it could make someone tic more and that there might be an explosion of tics after therapy. His research team and other researchers found no evidence of this. Parents were advised that they may be assuming their children are suppressing their tics at school and that they have a tic explosion at home. The assumption is that the children with TS are tired when they get home after supressing all day. However Prof Woods suggested that suppression happens at school as there are reinforcers for suppression at school therefore tics naturally shoot up for a time when at home because the reinforcers for suppression are lower there.

He also spoke about symptom substitution whereby people sometimes assumed that by stopping one tic it could make other tics worse, or that tics that are worked on in therapy are replaced by new ones. Again research evidence finds that this is was not the case.
    Prof Woods also spoke about anger outbursts known as rage attacks and that they differed from disruptive behavior. Rage attacks were more intense, had a more sudden onset and were often characterised by an abnormally large reaction to small stimulus. Children with TS often were very remorseful but sometimes had little recall of event.

If you would like more information about anger and TS please read our factsheet.

Both days were excellent and provided much information and advice with more professionals trained in CBITS and advice and information given to parents and caregivers. Everyone at Tourettes Action hopes that we can run more of these days in the future.

Default Re: Professor Douglas Woods Gives London Seminars on CBIT (U.K.)

Hi there Steve,
    this information and these sessions are so valuable to help the people we love--is there a way that a individuals can attend these seminars independently? I am from Canada and I am eagerly trying to gather information and I find myself struggling when it comes to CBIT and other ways to carry out treatment (non-medically). Was there a recording of the lectures made that maybe individuals could pay a fee to be able to watch and learn as well? Or possible a forum that goes out to give us a heads up when these lectures are happening (or somewhere we can go on the homepage to find a listing of seminars/talks in our area)

thank you.

Default Re: Professor Douglas Woods Gives London Seminars on CBIT (U.K.)

Hello Swagenhammer and welcome to the TSFC Forum!

Our Forum contains a lot of information and background on CBIT in its own dedicated Section you may want to investigate for additional information.

If you have specific questions about the process, go ahead and post your question in the CBIT section and I'll be glad to respond. I was given the opportunity to attend the last training session for medical professionals in Mississauga in order to be acquainted with CBIT to help increase awareness on our Forum. The session was taught by Dr. Woods and Dr. Specht of the TSA's Behavioral Training Institute, the body that provides CBIT training internationally.

As soon as we are aware of a future CBIT presentation in Canada, it would be posted here on the Forum.

In the meantime, you may want to look into consulting one of the currently trained practitioners. The TSFC National Office has a list of practitioners across Canada.

I am not aware of a recording that was made by Tourettes Action that is available to the public at this time.

I find myself struggling when it comes to CBIT and other ways to carry out treatment (non-medically).
    In what way are you struggling? Have you already received CBIT therapy or do you mean you're struggling to find a practitioner?