Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cyber Bullying - Robin Williams and daughter Zelda . her message!!

Default Cyber Bullying - Robin Williams and daughter Zelda . her message!!

Further to posting Gord Brown's Thoughts on the loss of Robin Williams, I felt I had to comment on the subsequent bullying of his daughter, Zelda.

These are my thoughts:

The death of Robin Williams has affected me profoundly. My favorite movie of his is The Fisher King because he allowed us to see the dual sides of psyche: the man who could make us laugh and care contrasted with the tormented soul we wanted to care for.

The social media experience of his daughter, Zelda, has further saddened me. However, she has the strength of her father and has risen above the bullying, writing this letter:

“My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare.

My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too …

Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again.”
    This letter was posted by Dr. Rex, go to this link and scroll down to see a few videos of Robin and Zelda.

RIP Robin. Thank you for the laughs.
    Last edited by Tina; August 17, 2014 at 09:51 PM.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Cyber Bullying - Robin Williams and daughter Zelda . her message!!

And further good news from Twitter, who has finally taken a stance on Twitter Trolls.
    As Colleen Barrett states, not sure what this means for the rest of us.

Twitter Cracks Down On Bullying After Zelda Williams Quits Social Media
    AUG 17, 2014 12:45 PM
    COLLEEN BARRETT, http://www.refinery29.com

Twitter's always been a free market for words and ideas. It makes no judgement. Good stands next to bad, and users decide what gets retweeted into viral immortality. But, that premise gets challenged when trolls troll and bullies bully. Now, with the high-profile takedown of Robin Williams' daughter, Zelda Williams — anonymous users not only blamed her for her father's death, but also sent photoshopped images of what was supposedly his body (it wasn't) — Twitter is finally stepping in.

After Zelda publicly quit social media, Twitter's VP of trust and safety, Del Harvey, said the company would not tolerate such abuse and is the process of updating its security policies. Right now, a person has to report a user and then their account might be suspended, but by that point, the damage is done. And, as Shirley Li at The Wire points out, there's nothing to stop users from creating another profile (and another and another). "It's not a minor nuisance," she says, "it's harassment."

None of this would be tolerated in real life, and the fact that it's online makes it harder to escape. Li suggests social networks look to gaming communities like League of Legends, which assembled a group of behavior experts (psychologists, computer scientists, and neuroscientists) to implement changes that reduce harassment among users. The results included the option to turn of the chat function, and something similar could work for Twitter — allowing users the option to stop replies or DMs.

But, what most social media platforms really need to do is stay ahead of the trolls, to stop bullying before it starts. Because when most people quit Twitter, they do so in silence.
    Last edited by Tina; August 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Cyber Bullying - Robin Williams and daughter Zelda . her message!!

A coda to this story, Zelda Williams Rejoins Twitter To Thank Followers For Support

Here are the two Tweets she posted to thank those who supported her:

@zeldawilliams
    I just want to say thank you for all the stories and letters I've been receiving, especially from those who've also lost loved ones.

@zeldawilliams
    I don't come online often, but reading of others who have dealt with this loss & gone on to live happy, full lives is helpful. Truly.

Please go to the link above to see the photo she tweeted of her father, Robin Williams, laughing with puppets on Sesame Street.

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership