Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family pushing to change me

Default Re: Family pushing to change me

Business cards are a GREAT idea!
    Thank you!

As a matter of expediency and practicality rather than strictly advocating, many of my patients know I have TS. If someone in the office notices a repetitive sniff or shrug or anything and asks about it (often in context of wondering if I have a head cold or similar), I will tell them straight out that no, it is Tourettes. Sometimes the responses indicate they have no knowledge of what this is, and I briefly tell them before moving on. Sometimes they seem uncomfortable, but I feel that if someone is comfortable enough to comment on a personal behavior then they should be comfortable enough to hear the response. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I do not have to hide something like this, nor do I have any inclination to do so.

I have stood in front of large groups of physicians and medical students as well, and told them small parts of my own history including TS. Partly this is to advance my own agenda of promoting physician wellness, but it also serves to ensure that the medical community understands that conditions such as TS, ADHD, and OCD are not the whole person, do not define a person, and do not have to limit. Actually, I know more than one physician colleague with tics.

Personal growth is a luxury for most people, but a necessity for us. If we can understand our own reactions, responses, and thought processes and then stay true to our own natures, surrounding ourselves with positivity, there is really nothing we can't do.

But, as Robert Heinlein says, 'TANSTAAFL' (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

It takes more work than I have had to do through any point of medical school/residency (with a toddler and an infant) to gain this perspective.
    But it is so worth it.

Gina

Smile Re: Family pushing to change me

..Gina,

Your post has moved me and I am inspired by and commend you for your forthrightness in speaking openly about your Tourette.

Perhaps the groundwork laid by people like my own personal hero, Dr. Mort Doran, created an environment of awareness, where talking about disorders like TS, OCD,ADD and others, can be taken out of the shadows and be worn with a certain amount of pride, attesting to our individuality.

Those of us who grew up in the pre-awareness era of Mort Doran lived in shame and embarrassment with our TS symptoms, and it would have been unheard of to simply note, in passing, that a sniff, a cough or a blink was "just a tic" or "it's just my Tourette".

However, due to the awareness and comfort level our national advocacy groups have cultivated over the past thirty or forty years, young people like yourself are doing such a wonderful service in illustrating that our disorders are in no way obstacles, nor anything to hide from, but rather to use the unique qualities we have to excel in whatever endeavor in life we choose.

I think I am moved by your openness and take comfort from your forthrightness, because I spent over half my life living in shame and embarrassment about my symptoms and only now can now speak openly and comfortably about my own Tourette; but unlike you, it took me nearly fifty years to reach the point you currently enjoy at your (considerably) younger age.

Quote Originally Posted by garih
    Actually, I know more than one physician colleague with tics.
    Which again speaks to the work that still needs to be done to raise awareness and remove perceived stigma from, yes, even some medical professionals, who may have grown up in an intolerant family or social environment, and continue to live in denial about their symptoms, despite their professional training.

Steve you are so right about us living in the pre-awareness era. I spent my entire elementary school years locked in the janitors supply closet with my books & no teacher to teach me. I was only allowed to join my classmates for lunch & I was picked on because "the freak was being let out to eat". It's very sad the things we had to deal with. I am so proud of how far we've come in TS awareness & blessed to be one of the chosen ones to spread it.

I too went through similar trials in my early life. Just found this website today, hoping to share experiences and chat openly with fellow sufferers.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post
    I too went through similar trials in my early life. Just found this website today, hoping to share experiences and chat openly with fellow sufferers.
    At what age did you realize that your symptoms were involuntary and that it was Tourette?