Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Their Tourette Enhances Their Lives

Thumbs up Their Tourette Enhances Their Lives

People with Tourette syndrome speak about how it has enhanced their lives
    Deseret News National
    October 30, 2014

Amir Khan, a Singaporean mixed martial arts sensation, is the most recent athlete to speak out about how his Tourette syndrome has enhanced his ability to succeed.

ďI donít mind living with (Tourette syndrome), it doesnít really affect me. But Iím trying to control it every day, slowly, and as I get older hopefully itíll reduce,Ē Khan told Yahoo.

Tourette syndrome as defined by the National Tourette Syndrome Association (U.S.) is a neurological disorder with the symptoms of involuntary, rapid and repetitive movements of the face, arms, limbs or trunk called tics. Over 200,000 Americans have Tourette syndrome, the National Institute of Neurological Disorder and Stroke reported, and although the disorder may make everyday life difficult, some with this condition claim these tics actually serve as an advantage for them.

With seemingly no overt campaign or publicity push, there have been several high profile individuals with Tourette syndrome who have spoken to media outlets about how the disorder has worked to their advantage.

The goalkeeper for the USA national soccer team, Tim Howard, told ABC News that he thinks his Tourette syndrome does not hurt him on the field, but gives him faster reflexes than his opponents. He broke the record for most saves in a World Cup match this past summer in Brazil.

In the same story, Olympic swimmer Anthony Ervin, who took gold at the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney and recently reclaimed the national championship title in the 50-meter freestyle, said his tics help him be a faster swimmer.

"The way that I have come to understand my Touretteís is that there is an over excitation of the nervous system. I can channel all that nervousness better than a majority of my competitors," Ervin said.

Entertainers with Tourette syndrome explained how their tics help them in their stage performances.

Cameron Hite, a Maryville College senior and theater major, spoke with The Daily Times on how his Tourette syndrome has inspired him to write an autobiographical play about a fictional character with the same condition.

ďWhen Iím on stage, Iím able to leave it all behind," he said. "Itís like this magical thing that happens, where I donít even think about it.Ē
    Ben Klingberg, a comedian in Australia, explained to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation how he uses comedy to help control his Tourette syndrome.

"As part of the condition I'm naturally very self-conscious, to the point where I'm very mindful of how I'm interacting with other people because of the controlling of the tic," he said. "(Stand-up comedy) helped to reduce the anxiety, a bit, that I feel about interacting with people. It's given me a little bit more self-confidence."

Not only can those with Tourette syndrome have productive careers, but they can thrive in other aspects of their lives.
    Johanna Elsemore, a columnist, opened up with The Huffington Post about her battle with her Tourette syndrome. She said people with Tourette syndrome can lead very normal lives and they should not let their disorder discourage them.

"Today I'm happily married, have a good job and a loving network of friends. My life is as normal as I would ever want life to be. But my biggest fear at age 10 wasn't the dark, or monsters under my bed. My biggest fear was that I would never live a normal life. I wish someone could have told that scared little girl that not only would she grow up to be functional, she would grow up to be successful."

Default Re: Their Tourette Enhances Their Lives

I've been trying to get some information on professionals with TS outside of entertainment and athletics (though there is nothing wrong with those two) other than myself and my favorite historical example. If I find anything I'll try to remember to put it here. I have thoughts on how TS interact with quite a few areas, but I'm hoping to get some more examples before I speculate too much.

Default Re: Their Tourette Enhances Their Lives

Flutterguy,

Many stories about people who have excelled in life who happen to have Tourette are reported in this very Forum section Myths, Stigma and Raising Awareness, including my personal hero, Dr. Mort Doran, a neurosurgeon and Dr. Duncan MacKinlay a psychologist.

Additionally the TSA has a number of stories about people who happen to have TS and who have made significant accomplishments on their Adults living with TS Page. Check out the vidoe by Paul Devore as a great example.

I agree the popular media often focuses on high profile figures, who do raise awareness as well, but it would be nice to see some focus directed to the accomplishments of some of the academics who have excelled while making the best out of their disorder.