Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else with coprolalia (swearing)?

Cool Anyone else with coprolalia (swearing)?

Hello guys! My my name is Noah. I am a 19 year old male with coprolalia, severe OCD, social anxiety and depression. I look forward to meeting new people with TS and perhaps even coprolalia.Thank you for having me here guys!

I have undergone extensive exposure therapy treatment for OCD, and have managed to escape from my depression. I am moving to a new town, to start a new life, and attend University. Unfortunately my OCD and TS had delayed my schooling. I have good days, and bad days, where I swear every few seconds.

i am concerned about attending lectures on the days I am constantly swearing. i wanted to get a part-time job at a library, but that probably isn't possible. Anyways, I knew a guy who also had coprolalia who lives in my town. Unfortunately he passed away, and I never got to talk to him. He was a successful man.

I hope I will not allow my coprolalia to influence my life. I am making a Tourette Syndrome Plus Skype support group, for people with TS, OCD, social anxiety and/or depression. I have overcome depression, many of my OCD symptoms, and some of my social anxiety. The Tourette Syndrome , however, is life long, and I have to accept it. I want to study psychology, and perhaps help others with similar conditions.

I am currently slapping my head and swearing as I type this. My OCD is making me dread pressing the submit button, because I have to press it at the right time without an intrusive thought. i have to keep typing until I can press submit. Anyway, I live in British Columbia and was wondering if there are any support groups in the Vancouver area. It would be interesting to meet others with TS and coprolalia.

Default Re: Anyone else with coprolalia (swearing)?

Hello Noah and welcome to the TSFC Forum. Glad you have joined us and hope we can provide you with some information, support and direction to help you with your concerns and in turn to help manage some of your symptoms.

You have raised a number of issues in your post that we can discuss at greater length in follow up posts. Most of the issues you have raised have possible solutions, including managing your OCD, treating your depression and ultimately ways that might help manage your phonic (vocal tics)

I hope I will not allow my coprolalia to influence my life.
    Your symptoms should not influence your life unless you allow them to do so. You should not be identifying yourself with your Tourette symptoms, but rather as the creative, intelligent and enthusiastic person you seem to be.

To help put your symptoms into perspective when it comes to your potential in life, have a look at this video by successful businessman Paul DEvore, who happens to have Tourette Syndrome.

While you're at it have a look at our forum section Myths, Stigma & Raising Awareness to read stories about numerous success stories about people who happen to have a Tourette diagnosis.

i am concerned about attending lectures on the days I am constantly swearing.
    You are to be commended for your concern! You need to arrange for a special needs accommodation in your school that might involve a special seating arrangement, or some other accommodation. Please contact the National Office of TSFC for information as to the specific kinds of accommodations you might qualify for, and guidance on how to go about it.

Additionally, please contact the local TSFC Chapter for some local guidance on how to reach out for the accommodations that would allow you to get your lectures done.

Our Forum contains an extensive section that discusses phonic tics including coprolalia.

In subsequent discussions, lets talk about environmental factors that affect tic symptoms and how you can mitigate many of those factors. Lets also talk about the dynamics of your tics and how you might use some behavioural strategies to help manage some of your tic activity. Lets also talk about the possibility of your seeking some behavioural therapy that would target your coprolalia with the goal of working to manage that particular tic.

I have undergone extensive exposure therapy treatment for OCD, and have managed to escape from my depression.
    Are you currently receiving any form of treatment or therapy for your mood and anxiety disorders? What do you mean you have escaped from your depression?

Thank you so much Steve! You addressed my concerns extremely well, and in great detail. Now, about the environmental factors, they are difficult to influence because every time I see a stranger walking down the street, I have the urge to swear at him/her. I can sometimes cover it up by making loud grunting noises. I do get anxiety attacks which increase the TS and OCD symptoms. I also know that distracting myself can reduce some of the tics and OCD. I've been through habit reversal therapy for Tourette Syndrome. Currently i am seeing a talk therapist, but not going through actual targeted treatment for OCD and TS.

Now, what I meant by having 'escaped' my depression is that several years ago, I was suicidal and would cut myself. I was diagnosed with depression at age 17 in a hospital in Wisconsin. I had to travel from Canada to the US for OCD treatment. I am now on clomipramine, Abilify and Luvox. These medications seemed to have helped with my OCD and depression. i feel generally happy now, and don't think I can label myself as depressed anymore. I still have some OCD, tics and social anxiety.

It sounds like you have a lot of insight into these issues. Steve is right; the tics can be worked around for classes and the resources toward which he has directed you should help with the practicalities of that. Good on you for planning ahead! Will you know anyone in your classes prior to starting?
    The stress of a life change like university can increase tics as well as OCD symptoms; I mention this only to also make the point that with good preparation and support this should be temporary.

I think you should be very proud of your accomplishments so far. To have the ability and to have put in the work to go from severe depression in context of these comorbidities to being well enough to be planning for university classes is wonderful to see. The skills you have gained in the process will likely help you in your studies also. I am proud of you and I don't even know you

What is your area of study/interest?

Gina

Sorry for the delay, Gina, I am trying to respond as quickly as my OCD will allow me. Thank you Gina! Very much appreciated. I am fascinated by many things, psychology, neuroscience, physics, astronomy....My passions include all forms of science. I also enjoy writing. if I could combine my passion for writing and science into one career, I would be extremely happy.
    Last edited by SwearingTourettesMan; November 22, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

The beauty of a forum like this is that time to respond is necessarily variable, and correspondingly unimportant
    Whether you post today or next month, it will be received as welcome and valuable.

I have also enjoyed courses ranging from physics and astronomy to anthropology to physiology. I share your interest in writing. I tend to take an eclectic and curious approach to the world, which sound similar to your own

I also have TS, OCD, ADHD (though not with the coprolalia tics, at least yet). I have as well a history of depression and anxiety, though stable at this time. Although these things have added an extra level of challenge over time and consequently I have taken a longer time to do so than I might otherwise, the challenge hasn't been so much so that it has gotten in the way of earning degrees in biochemistry(with a chemistry minor), nursing (worked in critical care for a couple years), medicine, and now having a very rewarding and challenging career as a family physician. Of note, these things have also not gotten in the way (at least, not excessively so) of teaching medical students, advocating provincially and nationally for physician wellness, having close friends, getting married, or having children.

I look forward to hearing how everything goes; based on your posts, I think you have a bright and interesting future ahead of you!

Noah,

I am so glad to hear your symptoms of depression have been in remission. As Gina has alluded to, the skills we learn in managing the symptoms of our comorbidities do help us in managing not just our Tourette challenges, but many other facets of our lives.

As an adult who has lived with Tourette for over half a century <gulp> and having recovered from the illness of depression and anxiety, I have been able to have a successful career in business along with an outstanding marriage....so our disorders are not obstacles, but rather opportunities to achieve whatever we strive for.

I am still inspired by the story of Jessica Cox, while not a person living with Tourette Syndrome, Jessica is differently abled and has accomplished amazing success despite her challenges. Jessica's story can be seen here.

I've been through habit reversal therapy for Tourette Syndrome.
    Did your therapist provide you with some strategies to employ in the way of competing responses or tic blockers the tic(s) you worked on during these consultations? Was there any discussion about how you might manage your phonic tics, specifically the vocal tic of coprolalia?

Thank you, Steve and Gina! I had an embarrassing incident yesterday in the store involving my coprolalia. Fortunately, it is much better today, but the OCD is extremely bothersome. For vocalizations, my therapist taught me 'reverse respiratory control'- breathing in through my mouth and out through my nose. The problem is this conflicts with my OCD related fears of breathing in pollution and germs.

Therefore, it's difficult when I am among crowds or on the street (when I am most likely to tic). For the motor tics (slapping my head and copropraxia), I was told to clench my hands against my stomach or on my lap. My therapist also taught me to recognize the 'urge' happening before the tic. For instance, I may get an inappropriate sentence popping into my head, followed by the urge to say the sentence.
    Last edited by Steve; November 23, 2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: format

For vocalizations, my therapist taught me 'reverse respiratory control'- breathing in through my mouth and out through my nose.
    This is the usual proposed competing response (CR) for a vocalization, and understanding the confounding issue of your OCD thoughts, can see how it can be a problem.

Perhaps it might help to try traditional diaphragmatic breathing instead of the "reverse" method of mouth inhalation. Some therapist like to add pursing the lips and pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth to the breathing as the CR for a vocalization.

Remember that tics tend to come in waves or in bouts, and the urge usually lasts for a minute or two, so if you can employ your CR in earnest for forty five to sixty seconds, you may succeed in getting past the urge.

Remember too that employing your CR is not just a stop gap measure for the moment, but by employing your CR diligently, you are actually strengthening the neural pathways between the prefrontal cortex (the emergency brake system of your brain) and the basal ganglia (the site thought to be where our tics and OCD originate).

The process is gradual, and according to CBIT experts, is thought to require about six months of diligent application of the designated CR.

This Forum thread contains a number of relaxation techniques including articles that can be downloaded that describe breathing, progressive muscle relaxation and imagery.

You might also like the following: The Four Steps | Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz | Brain Lock to help with OCD symptoms.

Do you continue to have access to therapy for your symptoms?

Thanks, Steve.

I currently don't have access to therapy. I was required to travel to Wisconsin by wheelchair because I would get paralyzed for several hours (due to the compulsion of retracing my steps).

Fortunately, I don't need a wheelchair anymore. I walk for two hours every day.

I make loud 'cawing' noises like a bird, and strangers stare at me like I am an alien.

i have a question. I have so many inappropriate sentences that I say (coprolalia) and was wondering if I can discuss them in the vocal tic section.
    Last edited by SwearingTourettesMan; November 23, 2014 at 05:26 PM.