Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Exclamation Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Hey there, I am Noah

On bad days I say obscene phrases every few seconds.

These phrases can appear to blend, therefore, I have some tics that are two sentences long (13 words), containing seven different profanities.

This has caused people to mistake the coprolalia for voluntary swearing, even a nurse at the hospital yelled at me about these vulgarities.

I am wondering if anyone else has such complex coprolalia, that people mistake it as real.

Default Re: Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Hi Noah!

Glad you found this forum. Welcome to you!

From what you wrote, it sounds like your difficulties with coprolalia are quite a bit more severe than most. I think that people are always going to assume that anyone that's cursing is doing it on purpose. Unless you tell them otherwise.

Have you explained to everyone you see on a daily basis that you have Tourette? Have you had problems with people not believing you when you tell them it's not something you can voluntarily control?

For random encounters with strangers it's a little trickier. One thing you can try is carrying some small cards that read something like, "I have a neurological condition called Tourette Syndrome. It causes me to say things I don't mean, and this is not something I can control. Please read about Tourette Syndrome on the Internet and just be glad it's not you!"

Twidget

I cannot thank you enough Twidget, for giving me the idea with the cards.

Hi, I just found your post, and I empathize with you.
    My 10 year son has had coprolalia since he could speak. When he was 3 I found it upsetting to watch him in gymnastics. He would stand behind someone in line and repetitively talk about their body parts. When he was 4 he sung very loudly on a bus "Dave likes to wear dirty underwear!" The whole bus laughed. In grade two he fixated on several words: diaper, mama, peanut butter, hamburger. He would go up to different kids and say something involving one to all of the words, as well as have them replace other words in his sentences. The kids laughed, which made him happy, until they imitated his phrases back. Then he cried.

Currently, he does a whole string of obscenities which we ignore at home. When we are out, I try to distract him with a game or discuss something else. I really interrupt him when the coprolalia starts. He seems worse with more stimulation. At disneyworld 1 1/2 years ago, we went through almost an entire park with him shouting P####. We just tried to think of replacement words that were a little more kid friendly, and he tried hard to use them.

When did you develop coprolalia? Have you found any useful advice from psychologists? Or not useful? Have your friends or family been able to help decrease the embarrassment in any way? I would love to know how to help with it in the least embarrassing way possible. So far we have able to ignore the withering looks of judgemental bystanders when these incidents occur to a certain extent. As my little guy gets older this might not hold.

Thank you, Mom with 2 boys, it's nice to know I am not alone with this.

My coprolalia didn't start until I was 16 years old. I guess I am pretty lucky that it started so late.

I am also lucky that I get 'breaks' from the coprolalia (my coprolalia happens in fits that I call tic attacks)

My daughter has very long verbal tics as well. Sometimes I am talking to her and she will tell me to forget everything she just said because it was a tic. Then she'll have a tic that says ''No it wasn't.'' It's a good thing we have a good sense of humor. lol