Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starting a new life...How to tell roommates about Tourette Syndrome

Lightbulb Starting a new life...How to tell roommates about Tourette Syndrome

Hey there,

Tomorrow is a big day. I will be moving out of my parents house to a transitional home in a different town, a home which is shared with four other people.

This is not my first time away from home, I've been away for OCD treatment in Wisconsin for three months.

I don't know how these strangers will react to my coprolalia and copropraxia.

We are going to go bowling together to get to know each other.

Anyways, I will probably have to introduce myself and tell them about Tourette Syndrome.

My parents told the staff that I have these vocal tics, but never mentioned the coprolalia.

I hope it goes well, and people see me as the nice, polite guy I am behind the tics.

Default Re: Starting a new life...How to tell roommates about Tourette Syndrome

Good luck
    I hope it works out well. No matter what the first day brings, I suspect they will come to know and respect you as a person over time.
    Have fun bowling!
    Gina Higgins
    MD, CCFP

Default Re: Starting a new life...How to tell roommates about Tourette Syndrome

First impressions people make of you can last a long time, so I suggest being proactive and making sure your housemates know about your coprolalia before
    they witness it firsthand!