Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are boys even meaner than ‘mean girls’?

Default Are boys even meaner than ‘mean girls’?

Hi everyone,
    I'm not going to post the whole content of this article, just the first two paragraphs which introduce the interview that is the bulk of the article.
    A link to the original research study is also included.

Are boys even meaner than ‘mean girls’?
    In conversation with Pamela Orpinas, the lead author of a new study on relational aggression.
    By Aaron Hutchins | Maclean's – Fri, 12 Dec, 2014

Ten years ago, Rachel McAdams’s role as Regina George in Mean Girls brought female bullying to the forefront of social consciousness. Mean girls seemed to mostly gossip, backstab and reject others. But, according to a new study from the University of Georgia, it is in fact boys who use tactics such as rumours and social exclusion to hurt others more often than their female counterparts. Mean boys? Maybe.

We spoke with Pamela Orpinas, the lead author on the seven-year study recently published in the journal Aggressive Behavior looking at trajectories in relational aggression from grades 6 through 12 for both males and females.

[Click on this link to read the interview.]
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Are boys even meaner than ‘mean girls’?

Now this is a research area that I wish was not so sensitive! Gender, sex and behavior. Adding to the difficulty factor we have aggression, particularly relevant to individuals with TS. It's fascinating and there is some TS related gender expression research that I wish I could get my hands on.

If this article's pattern holds after more research I would not be surprised. In my experience everywhere there is a noticeable contrast (a simple difference here) between people, there will be social messages used for purposes of group conflict. In this case messages meant to paint the other group (girls) with the behaviors of the group using the message (boys) so that their own behavior will remain unnoticed. It's just a fact that a significant number people treat matters of interaction relating to sex and gender as a conflict.

Historically we men have been more dominant and in control of society, and dominant groups of any kind use behaviors meant to maintain dominance. This would work as such a behavior because it hides the gossiping, backstabbing, and rejection so that it can continue to be used. In my opinion if you flipped the roles of the sexes historically speaking, I have no problem believing that girls would engage in these behaviors more and vice versa. I support the idea that culture had a far greater effect on the behavior of the sexes than anything like genetics.