Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Online Study Exploring Skin Picking, Coping, and Health

Default Online Study Exploring Skin Picking, Coping, and Health

Do you pick your skin? Do you want to contribute to the research on skin picking and its relation to coping and health? If so, this study is for you! Dr. Michael MacGregor and graduate student Jessica Campoli from the University of Saskatchewan are interested in understanding the relation between skin picking behaviour and mental health. We are also interested in how people who pick their skin cope. It is hoped that this research will help us develop a better understanding of how skin picking is related to mental health and coping and that this information can contribute to more effective treatments and a better understanding of the consequences of skin picking. Individuals who pick their skin (with or without mental health concerns) are invited to participate. Participation is completely anonymous and the questionnaire takes 45 minutes to complete. Help make a difference in the lives of those who engage in skin picking behaviours!

If you are interested in participating and contributing to this important area of research, click this link:
    https://fluidsurveys.usask.ca/survey...munity-sample/

For more information you can contact Jessica Campoli: jessica.campoli@usask.ca or Dr. Michael MacGregor: michael.macgregor@usask.ca

Thank you!

Jessica Campoli & Michael MacGregor

Default Re: Online Study Exploring Skin Picking, Coping, and Health

Interesting. Does anyone know how they are defining "picking"? I do tend to mess with imperfections in different ways. But I also chew my nails and bite my cuticles so "picking" literally is something I don't do so much. I will email someone but I wanted to put my question here too.

Flutterguy,

Do go ahead and email the study administrators:

For more information contact Jessica Campoli: jessica.campoli@usask.ca or Dr. Michael MacGregor: michael.macgregor@usask.ca
    and post their response in the thread.

We don't have any further information about their study protocol.

I got a response.
    Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your interest in our study! Also, happy new year!

We are looking to capture a wide variety of skin picking behaviours, however these all involve the skin. Biting nails would be separate from skin picking. However, there are some grey areas here (for example, picking the skin around the nails). Our study does not have any exclusion criteria, again we are comprehensively looking at a variety of skin picking behaviours.

Hope this helps!