Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More or less tics when ill?

Default More or less tics when ill?

My son is currently sick with a cough/cold/congestion and his tics have decreased quite a bit. I've noticed that in the past too. I wonder if there is some correlation between this - I have read that there may be an immunological connection/cause for Tourettes. I've also noticed that when he starts to get better, his tics flare up in frequency/intensity. I'll keep an eye on him this time to see if it happens again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Default Re: More or less tics when ill?

I have read that there may be an immunological connection/cause for Tourettes.
    You are referring to the PANDAS hypothesis, which is, at the very least controversial and at best unsubstantiated.

Have a look at these:

PANDAS: Tourette/ Tics / OCD

Brain Imaging Differences in Tourette and PANDAS

My son is currently sick with a cough/cold/congestion and his tics have decreased quite a bit
    With some people (children) the exact opposite might be observed, because of the stress they might be feeling by being sick, feverish etc.

The answer may be simpler than you might think!

Perhaps your son feels more relaxed while recovering from his cold, or perhaps the decongestant, antihistamine he might be taking is calming him down.

Tourette tics are influenced by the environment which can make tics more or less frequent /intense.

I would look at potential environmental factors that are helping your son's tics symptoms decrease, and perhaps consider ways of adapting some of those influences into his life going forward (excluding the cough/cold/congestion)

Default Re: More or less tics when ill?

Quote Originally Posted by MomofX View Post
    My son is currently sick with a cough/cold/congestion and his tics have decreased quite a bit. I've noticed that in the past too. I wonder if there is some correlation between this - I have read that there may be an immunological connection/cause for Tourettes. I've also noticed that when he starts to get better, his tics flare up in frequency/intensity. I'll keep an eye on him this time to see if it happens again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Now I am the total opposite of your son cause I have the cough tic. So when I get run down with the cold or flu, I am so much worse. I guess it all depends on which tic you have.