Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hitting/ punching

Default Hitting/ punching

Hi,

Has anyone had a child who hits or punches as a tic? When my boy enters a new group lately he can't seem to control his hands and hits and punches his friends.

This is obviously horrible. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Hitting/ punching

Hello, my child has a touching tic...which is obviously inappropriate. It is causing him great trouble with school.

Thank you for your reply. So far my boy seems to touch, hit, punch only close friends and family. I just recently clued in that this could be Tourette's related.

Its definitely hard to tell what is a tic and what isn't. At least for us. I suppose it could ultimately be all tics. Its a struggle for sure.

http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/wp-c...CommonTics.pdf

I follow this, but it pretty much describes all behaviors. I have a meeting with our local Tourette's clinic soon. This will help me, I'm sure.

Hi,
    My name is Stephanie and I am 24 years old. I am not sure if this will help but I was diagnosed with Tourette's when I was 5 years old. My tics have gotten better over time, but i remember very clearly when I had both touching and punching tics. As a child with TS, those are very stressful tics to have.

They are of course uncontrollable, and part of their allure, is that they are taboo actions. I always found as a child with TS my mind was attracted to and focused on things that "were not appropriate" or "allowed". For example: being loud in libraries, because it's always so important to stay quiet.

Same thing with punching and touching, it isn't allowed.. so the limits must be pushed. This also causes a lot of guilt, because we know we are hurting people in the process, but are unable to stop.

Once a specific tic has began, I always found it really difficult to switch it for something else, before its done running its natural course but it isn't impossible. I think the best way is to talk about the tic, and the associations behind them (triggers) and try and transfer them to something less harmful.

This can be really hard and also depends on the age of the child. What worked for me was carrying around a stress ball (it had a cute smiley face on it) every time i had the urge to punch someone (or unfourtunately spit in their face) I would transfer all the energy into the stress ball and squeeze as hard as i could. If i really needed to i would just punch the air.

Eventually i got used to the idea of squeezing the ball, and the tic passed a few months later..
    Last edited by Steve; March 29, 2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Reformat: spacing

Hi tlpatzer,

I'm a 38-year old with TS. When I was a kid I had a touching, hitting, contact "tic".

TS is funny in this way. Tics and habits are actually manifestations of the same underlying problem, a more easily triggered and more intensely felt habit system. Kids normally engage in little dominance behaviors that are basically play and social education at best, but many kids go too far for lots of reasons. In our case we can get in the habit of following that pleasure sense from following the instinct of being the one to tease or be "top dog".

Since we feel it more strongly, and can develop habits more easily this can become a habit that is almost impossible to resist without a social factor that helps us learn the willpower to control ourselves over time. In fact you can take shmkaw's explanation as a really good personal example to go along with my more clinical description. It's like the whole system involved in assertive, externalized behavior is turned up (it's also why you get the oppositional behavior and such).

The good news is that these behaviors can definitely be changed. Kids are more dependant on social structure and role-modeling at first but as they develop they gain awareness of the internal impulses that our brains use to direct behavior. That give a person choice and how to respond to what a situation is. In time that system lets us chose the best habits. We always tic, but we have some choice over how we tic.