Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Need short online resource about dealing with tics including copralalia

Default Need short online resource about dealing with tics including copralalia

My almost 12yo son is attending a week-long theater camp that started today. It did not go well at all. He has had good experiences with this type of camp in the past.

It's a small camp, about 22 children, and they are learning a short play that they'll present to parents on Friday. (It's spring break this week.)

The camp director was quite open to me sending her some resources this evening, and I did. Unfortunately, I discovered that the resources I had on hand didn't say anything useful about copralalia.

The reason I need this is, the two major problems at camp today were:

1) My son kept tossing his pencil in the air and other boys, mostly a little younger, started copying it. This drove the leaders nuts and of course the more they made a big deal about it, the worse things got.

2) My son did a lot of pretend-farting today, including subtle suggestive movements, and vocal sounds. He is very good at imitating the sound and the subtle movement. Apparently other boys started copying this too.

My son and I will be presenting the kids' powerpoint presentation about TS to the campers tomorrow, but also, I would like to have something short and effective on hand to send to a camp or a teacher in case there's more copralalia in the future.

It shouldn't be a 50-page treatise. I need something short that has the basic information in it -- saying that it's helpful if you don't call attention to it when it happens, and an explanation of why that's the best approach. (It shouldn't just say how rare it is. It shouldn't just say what it is.)

It could be a general TS fact sheet or brochure that includes a good copralalia section, or it could be a fact sheet specifically focused on copralalia.

I don't need suggestions for how to explain this information to the teachers -- I just need something short and sweet that I can give them to read. I am in regular conversations with her about how to cope -- but it will be helpful to back up what I say with something official-looking.

It shouldn't be a video or a webinar or a podcast. For this type of situation, it should be a website or a pdf.

I spent about 90 minutes looking for something like this. Maybe it doesn't exist!

Perhaps someone has something short from a larger publication, that could be scanned? Then I could send the pdf as an email attachment.

It's okay if I don't come up with something for this week -- but I would like to have something on hand for future.

Thanks!

Default Re: need short online resource about dealing with tics - must include copralalia

Thanks, Steve. Of this list, the resource that comes the closest to what I need is Coprolalia Part 2: Coping With Coprolalia

Ideally I'd like to find something where the target audience is educators. This one is written for families.

But what I like about it is that it's relatively succinct, and it has the basic information about not calling attention to it:

"Ignore symptoms of coprolalia.

"The individual with coprolalia already knows that their behaviour is unacceptable and not the social norm. In fact, the more unacceptable the behaviour the more driven the individual is to perform it. Everyone in the family should know that the individual cannot help doing the behaviour and that it is a symptom of a neurological disorder."

Default Re: need short online resource about dealing with tics - must include copralalia

Leslie Packer's site SchoolBehavior.com is intended for educators. I am not sure if it contains what you might need, but it's worth exploring.

Her main site is Tourette Syndrome Leslie E. Packer, PhD

I recently responded to a query about coprolalia on Psychlinks..see if anything there can be useful:

Tourette..It's Not What You Think!

Thanks -- I had looked in the main Leslie Packer site, but I wasn't familiar with SchoolBehavior.com. I checked it out, but it didn't have clear DOs and DON'Ts.

Then it finally hit me -- what I should have thought of in the first place -- and I ran to get Sue Conners' Checklist book. It has exactly what I need. And the bulleted list format is what I was looking for, too. The two pages I need would take an educator 5 minutes, maximum, to read. Yay! I will ask my husband to scan those two pages at work and then I'll be ready next time this happens.

The Tourette Syndrome & OCD Checklist.
    Last edited by Steve; April 2, 2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Reference Link added

Default Re: Need short online resource about dealing with tics including copralalia

I am a resource teacher. This is the link I share with my son's teachers, support team abs admin. I also share it with family and friends.
    Dropbox - understanding behavioral symptoms in tourette syndrome.pdf

Maybe choose the parts that fit your child and cut to create your own personalized document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Need short online resource about dealing with tics including copralalia

Just remembered Tourettes Action Factsheet Managing Coprophenomena that might also be helpful.

Steve

Thanks for the mention, Steve. I actually have checklists of what TO DO for educators and others, sorted by problem, in my book, Find a Way or Make or Way. You can read more about it here: Find a Way or Make a Way. Parents/purchasers are welcome to reproduce the checklists to give to teachers, camp counselors, or whoever needs the info to help a child. I encourage parents to check off the ones they think are especially important for their child's situation.

Cheers,

Leslie