Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help! My 9 Year Old with TS hates school!!

Default Help! My 9 Year Old with TS hates school!!

Hi there! I was hoping to get some advice on what to do with my son's situation. He was diagnosed with TS two years ago and the last two years of school have been very challenging for him. He is quite capable and gets good report cards, but socially he has problems and often has "rage" attacks when prompted to do something he doesn't want to do. or is having a problem with another student. We had a meeting with the school administrator, the teacher, and the Tourette's Nurse from a clinic nearby to implement strategies for working with my son, but it doesn't seem the school is following through. I often get emails about his explosive behaviors that most times could have been prevented if there was more supervision or the teacher was more aware of how to handle the situation in the first place.

My son is in the French/English program and is finding that the talking in French is becoming very frustrating and always tells me that he doesn't understand what the teacher is saying and that he gets angry when prompted to answer questions in French! I am beginning to wonder if the french is too demanding for him and is triggering some of his rage. I am thinking of pulling him out of French/English and putting him in an English classroom setting before he hits middle school. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Donna

Default Re: Help! My 9 Year Old with TS hates school!!

My son is in the French/English program and is finding that the talking in French is becoming very frustrating and always tells me that he doesn't understand what the teacher is saying and that he gets angry when prompted to answer questions in French!
    At your son's age of nine, when he is coming to terms with learning to live with his Tourette symptoms, learning how to interact with others in dealing with his symptoms, while his sense of self awareness is probably maturing, while challenging his learning skills in two languages may be too stressful for him at this time.

Maturing self awareness, which we are told occurs in children around the age of ten, is an important factor in relation to Tourette because with matured self awareness, your son suddenly becomes aware of when he tics in addition to what he already is aware of, namely that he tics.

Knowing when he tics means he may be suddenly aware of the premonitory urge that precedes his tics, which may be motivating him to try to suppress or otherwise manage his tics in certain situations, such as in the classroom.

This is not a bad thing, but it could be the added stress of having to focus on learning a second language as well as focusing on managing his tic symptoms, might be too much for him to handle.

Although Tourette symptoms are involuntary, they are influenced by environmental factors such as stress, fatigue and excitement along with a number of other internal and external factors.

I am beginning to wonder if the french is too demanding for him and is triggering some of his rage.
    This would certainly be something to have assessed by a competent medical professional who treats and specializes in Tourette Syndrome. Rage reactions or "storms" are usually precipitated when the person (child) with Tourette is subjected to a number of demands or sensory inputs simultaneously. Under these conditions, probably because of an inability to compartmentalize the various demands, a rage reaction occurs.

For additional insights, please see the "sticky" posts on rage and storms in the Forum's Anger Section

and see if any part fo this article might have some relevance:

Melting Down From Sensory Overload

Default Re: Help! My 9 Year Old with TS hates school!!

Thank you so much Steve for the valuable information!