Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Choosing the "Right Words" When Discussing Tourette Syndrome

Post Choosing the "Right Words" When Discussing Tourette Syndrome

Ever wonder what should be the correct terminology when talking about issues related to Tourette Syndrome and our Foundation, Tourette Canada?

Attached is a list of terms recommended by Tourette Canada alongside the terms to be avoided.

Do you have words you prefer to use, or words you feel should be avoided that might detract from the reality of our disorders?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Choosing the "Right Words" When Discussing Tourette Syndrome

If I may, what is it about the word Tourette's that would be politically incorrect? This is a word that is extremely commonplace in discussion or literature about TS, at least from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyrgp4 View Post
    If I may, what is it about the word Tourette's that would be politically incorrect? This is a word that is extremely commonplace in discussion or literature about TS, at least from what I've seen.
    It isn't a matter of "politically correct" Jeremy, but rather using the words correctly.

Most syndrome names are preceded by the description of the condition such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or the proper name of the person to have identified the condition such as Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

There are a few exceptions to the non-apostrophe convention, but insofar as our disorder is concerned, the correct name according to medical literature is Tourette Syndrome.

That's why calling it Tourette's Syndrome or any apostrophised version is incorrect.

I suppose it would be similar to wanting to write your name a Geremy...it's just not the way the name is spelled..

Hi Jeremy,
    This is a non-medical explanation I heard when I first started working with the Tourette Community:
    Dr. Georges Gilles de la Tourette, after whom the syndrome is named, never had Tourette,
    so a possessive reference such as Tourette's would not be accurate.

If you want to read more about him, go to this link.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership