Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tennis Balls for Chair Legs Now 'suggested' School Supply

Default Tennis Balls for Chair Legs Now 'suggested' School Supply

Many children living with Tourette Syndrome have tics that can cause them to move their chair in class.
    This can be very distracting for other students and the teacher if the chair makes noise in the process, and
    one of the first accommodations for such as student is adding tennis balls to the bottom of the chair legs.

For this reason, I love the title of this article "Tennis balls for chair legs now 'suggested' school supply"
    People for Education calls suggested school supplies 'user fees' for public education
    By Greg Layson, CBC News Posted: Aug 27, 2015 6:00 AM ET| Last Updated: Aug 27, 2015 5:23 PM ET

While the article itself is about a bit of controversy that I won't copy here, there is this quote:
    "Some teachers just find that tennis balls on the bottoms of chairs cuts down on noise when students are moving their chairs around, and makes it a little easier for smaller students to slide them around when doing group work," Stephen Fields, spokesman for the Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board, said in an email to CBC.
    And there is also information about this program:
    National Bank runs the On the Ball program, which donates used tennis balls to classrooms in Ontario and Quebec. The program started nine years ago.

Canadian tennis star Vasek Pospisil is a spokesman for the campaign.

"I just know when I was a kid how noisy the classrooms were and it's so hard to concentrate when anybody would move," Pospisil said in an interview with CBC last year. "To have that idea to put tennis balls on the bottoms of chairs is really great. It's something any school could use. It's going to help education and help the kids concentrate,"
    Last edited by Tina; August 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Tennis Balls for Chair Legs Now 'suggested' School Supply

And here's a tweet from National Bank @nationalbank with a link to the On The Ball program.

#Fact: Tennis balls used as chair slippers reduce classroom noise by 32%, from 95 to 65 decibels. #OnTheBall On the Ball. | National Bank One for Youth
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership