Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Self-Esteem Killers You Control

Default The Self-Esteem Killers You Control

Your Own Worst Enemy: The Self-Esteem Killers You Control
    Additude Magazine
    Posted October 2, 2015

Hearing "no" all day everyday can, over time, really damage a child's self perception. That, in turn, leads to negative self-talk - that inner voice that tells us we're not good enough.

Inner voices. We all have at least one. And if you have ADHD, you know that voice can be a real jerk sometimes. Scientific research confirms that transforming negative self-talk into positive self-talk can improve performance and happiness. Here’s how to do it.

Here's how to silence the negativity, with practice.

View Additude slide show Online

PDF transcript attached for download.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: The Self-Esteem Killers You Control

Hi I just had a question. I decided to come out of my cave and try on-line dating. To my surprise I got a couple of hits. My question is if it get to a point that I get the opportunity to go on a face to face date with a women should I tell her about my TS before the date via email or should I tell her during the date? She might run the other way like most women do in my life. I know it seems like a dumb question but it's important to me cause I'm taking a big risk I'm not a dating type of guy normally I'm always isolated.

Default Re: The Self-Esteem Killers You Control

Gio,

Commendations on taking the initiative to reach out to form some new relationships! It must have taken a great deal of courage on your part, but unless you give it a try, you cannot expect successes. I think it was Yogi Berra, or maybe Yogi Bear who said, "if you don't swing, you can't hit"!

Bear in mind that Tourette symptoms have no effect on your personality, your feelings, your intelligence, your cognitive skills, your creativity...in other words, TS does not affect the person who you are.

If you have been corresponding with this person for a while, this woman has had a chance to gain some insight into the person you are. If you have been honest with her to this point, you can continue being honest about your TS.

No one likes surprises, so you probably want to get ahead of your concerns about your TS prior to your face to face meeting.

One of the best resources on the topic comes from the Adult Resource Center of TAA (U.S.), a copy of which is posted on the Forum: Dating TS

Having TS is not a deal breaker when it comes to forming relationships. My advice would be to take it one step at a time, by keeping your expectations low, and hoping for the best. Don't become discouraged by setbacks, and use any setbacks as learning opportunities to refine your approach for the next time.

Many of us who happen to have TS have long standing, strong and loving relationships. We are loved for who we are, and we are not identified by our symptoms, but by the qualities that make us who we are.