Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hi I'm New

Default Hi I'm New

My older brother has tourettes and I think I might have a milder case. My tics are blinking, a vocal tic where I tried to make the highest nois to the lowest, this thing where I make the muscles in my neck go tense, and squinting but my whole face doest it. I don't have them as often as my brother but sometimes I can't hold it in. I'm afraid people might think i m trying to copy my brother for attention, but I'm not. I also don't want to burden my parents with it.

Default Re: Hi I'm New

Welcome to the Forum, Mythology! Thanks for joining us.

Presumably your brother has already had a formal confirmed diagnosis by a medical professional, and if so, it is not unusual for another family member to show signs of Tourette, since it's a genetic disorder.

However, there is no way to know for sure without being seen in a face to face interview with a medical professional who treats and understands tic disorders, especially Tourette.

I also don't want to burden my parents with it.
    Why would you see asking for medical attention as being a burden on your parents? Is your brother's diagnosis and treatment seen as a burden?

Suppose you were having abdominal or chest pain or if your eyesight became impaired, would you see asking for medical attention in that situation as a burden?

Tourette Syndrome is a neurological disorder, that people are born with, and if the symptoms cause difficulty in daily activities, such as ability to do your work, or in social activity, you owe it to yourself to seek the help you need to access the resources to manage your situation so you can maintain an acceptable quality of life.

At what age did your own symptoms begin, and what if any difficulties do they cause?

How is your brother doing with his symptoms?

Are your parent(s) and family members supportive of the effects of the symptoms?

In the sense of me burdening my family, it's not so much as them thinking that, it's me. As extremely stupid as it sounds, I want to be tough and strong, I don't like feeling weak and not in control.Yes my family is very supportive with the effects, we try to avoid my brothers triggers as best as we can, and if we can't we let him vent out. Around grade seven I started having these moments where I would constantly blink, people would ask why I was doing it. One time I was at a friends house and I couldn't stop, her mother asked me what was wrong and I didn't know what to say because I didn't even know why I was doing it, I just had too. Around the same time i had my vocal tic which when asked about it all I could say was I had too. As to the part of it affecting me, I'm not sure, I'm not sure if anxiety comes with it because all of a sudden people I used to play with as a child now made me almost scared and really anxious. I sometimes felt like crying because I didn't want go near them, and I couldn't explain why. It also kinda affects me at school, while in class out of the blue a random tic will happen. As for my brother and his symptoms, are getting better which is really good, his screaming tics are now rare and he is coping with them a lot better. He has a hard time with people at school which still worries me a bit, but he has a few good friends. And thank you for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology
    As extremely stupid as it sounds, I want to be tough and strong, I don't like feeling weak and not in control.
    No, it doesn't sound stupid at all, and is a common misconception expressed by some people. The reality is that we cannot always deal with problems or issues that come up and there is no shame or disgrace, nor does it show any personal shortcoming to reach out for assistance.

If you were experiencing stomach pain, or if you had a sore throat for weeks, wouldn't you want to see your doctor?

If you had a car that would jerk and roar, wouldn't you ask a mechanic for help?

We could go on with examples, but I'm sure you get the idea, that we cannot be experts in everything, in which case we consult a professional.

When it comes to emotional, psychological or even symptoms of a neurological disorder like Tourette, which is a complex disorder, the best thing you can do for yourself is to advocate for yourself whether it's with your family or with teachers, professors or employers.

The two skills I like to think we as people with Tourette need throughout life is to advocate and to negotiate.