Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mother of Adolescents with Tourettes Contemplating Move to Toronto

Default Mother of Adolescents with Tourettes Contemplating Move to Toronto

I have an 18-year-old son with Tourette syndrome and a 14-year-old son with motor tic disorder and OCD. Both are special education students. Both also have bipolar disorder. We currently live in the US, but I have gotten a job offer that would require a move to Toronto. My children are getting good services where we are now. My younger one will be starting high school next year. He will need resource room support for mathematics and he will need accommodations for the other subjects. My older son has one more year of high school and then he wants to go to technical school (I guess what you call "college" in Canada). How long would it take them to get in to see a psychiatrist? What about special education services?

Default Re: Mother of Adolescents with Tourettes Contemplating Move to Toronto

Karin,

Is the prospective employer giving you an opportunity to visit Toronto so you could make some of these inquiries in person to get some first hand information on getting an IEP for accommodations for the accommodations they need in the school(s) they would be attending?

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    I have an 18-year-old son with Tourette syndrome and a 14-year-old son with motor tic disorder and OCD. Both are special education students. Both also have bipolar disorder. We currently live in the US, but I have gotten a job offer that would require a move to Toronto. My children are getting good services where we are now. My younger one will be starting high school next year. He will need resource room support for mathematics and he will need accommodations for the other subjects. My older son has one more year of high school and then he wants to go to technical school (I guess what you call "college" in Canada). How long would it take them to get in to see a psychiatrist?
    Sadly, a referral to a psychiatrist can take time, depending on the nature of the referral. If it's for a general consult, rather than continuing services, you require a referral from a physician and the appointment can take anywhere from a month to 6-12 months. If it's for continuing psychotherapy or monitoring, it may take even longer.

On the other hand, moving to Toronto from the US, it would take 3 months from date of application or date of entry to the province of Ontario before you are eligible for benefits under OHIP (the government health plan in Ontario). If you needed medical services prior to that time, it would be an out of pocket expense but it may be that you could get in to see a psychiatrist more quickly - I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    What about special education services?
    You don't need to see a psychiatrist to access Special Education or accommodation services within the school system (or the college system for that matter). You could wait several months to a year to see one of the school board psychologists but you likely could see a private psychologist within a week to a month, and the psychologist could provide documentation to the school board to set up any special ed or accommodation your sons require in the school system.

Thank you so much, Dr Baxter. I do know that you don't need a psychiatrist to access special ed services. I am concerned about the availability of services in Toronto. Here in the States, even in the same metro area, the availability and quality of services can vary within cities, but there is a ceiling and a floor, to speak metaphorically. Do you know of anyone who could give me a sense of Toronto in that regard?

Thanks again for your response. It was very helpful.

There are members who live and work in Toronto on our sister forum at Psychlinks Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum, including a couple who work or have worked in medical services there. It might be worth asking the question about availability of psychiatric services over there, although they would probably not have specific information about Tourette Syndrome.

Like many kids with TS, my son has comorbidities. That is helpful.

Do people in Toronto retain special education advocates or attorneys to help their children get special education services?

No that's usually not necessary. A psychologist can do that with the local school board and school boards have an obligation to provide accommodation.

I suspect that many parents also use private tutoring as an adjunct to whatever the school makes available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karin,

There is a private clinic in Toronto that offers treatments for ADHD & ADD, Learning Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Tourette Syndrome & associated issues. It is called The Possibilities Clinic. At least one of the staff is known to Tourette Canada as being trained to treat Tourette.

I think they may be able to at least guide you in the right direction for the services you need. Some services are covered by OHIP, while others are paid and you may be required to pay for all services before being enrolled in OHIP.

I would suggest contacting the clinic, explain your situation and your needs to see if what they can do.

Additionally you may want to contact the Home Office of Tourette Canada, which is also located in Toronto, for guidance: Telephone: 905-673-2255
    Toll Free: 1-800-361-3120

Please let me know the outcome of your contact.