Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowel Tic Resulting in a Little Stool?

Default Re: Bowel Tic Resulting in a Little Stool?

I don't know all the criteria for diagnosis of ADD/ADHD but I thought our son who hyper-focusses meant he wouldn't have ADD. He is not hyper. But now I am seeing "hyper-focussed" associated with ADHD and when I google search I am thinking oh man....its rampant in ADHD (likely ADD then too?)....I have all new concerns of Dane having ADD too because the kid only focussed on what he wants to, and literally sits blankly with one shoe on not remembering to put the other one on, not even when directly told to more than once. He has to be told to do every next step and repeatedly told the things he is to do. Sigh...........BIG sigh....what can others tell me about ADD?

---------- Post Merged at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Juliward here's a cool link I found too that parents' post answers are helpful for our situation: Disturbing bathroom related issues: Parents of ADHD Children ADHD Support Group Discussion Topic - ADDitude
    And so far our school is acting supportive, we are only two days in but they want a meeting with me to discuss further. And I think the bathroom kit and underwear liners I send are a help 😊

ElleEm, thanks for describing your program. It sounds very effective. And best of all you've been able to negotiate things with your son. Here are a few thoughts.

1. If he can swallow a small gel cap, you might want to give a daily over-the-counter stool softener (assuming doctor okays it). Your description of the minor accidents reminded me of a nice children's health article that says constipation in children can result in a little bit of smearing ("It's also common for kids with constipation to sometimes stain their underwear with bits of stool").

2. Fruits high in vitamin C such as strawberries and citrus seem to encourage regularity in my children. Cooked prunes can be very helpful. I'm not sure, but maybe cooked dried apricots would have a similar effect.

3. Eating is a natural trigger for peristalsis (that means the contractions that get things moving through the lower intestinal tract).

4. In the long run, sitting for 15 minutes might be a little bit more than ideal (I'm thinking of hemorrhoids, for example) -- maybe time you can reduce the amount of time needed a little bit.

5. For some people, every other day seems to be a comfortable rhythm. I suppose it all depends on the consistency, the amount of discomfort when pooping, and how often the smearing incidents occur.

6. It sounds like the liners are working well for you guys. You may also want to consider sometimes using a pull-up. It all depends on how the child feels about the idea.

7. TS is a whole spectrum of stuff. It is quite possible to see some signs of ADD without meeting criteria for an ADD diagnosis, especially in a person with TS. By the way, ADHD or ADHD combined type are specific types of ADD. In general, I tend to think of two types of ADD -- the dreamy type and the very active type. Maybe that's an oversimplification, but it helps me understand why my child, and another child whose behavior seems completely different, would both have some type of ADD diagnosis. Mine has trouble sitting still and is "combined" but a friend of his is pure ADD and has no trouble sitting still, but it's his mind that is constantly wandering off.

8. Although there is a higher incidence of toilet challenges in ADD, non-ADD children can have toilet challenges too.

9. Speaking of which, my non-TS son (genetically unrelated ot my TS son) was ending the day with stinky underwear for a while when he was 6. He was constantly waiting just a little too long to go pee. His doctor suggested a chart. If his underwear still smelled pretty good at the end of the day he got a sticker. After six stickers he got a treat. It worked! Now, compare that experience with my TS-ADHD son, who was still in night-time pull-ups at age 8. The only way he was able to become dry at night was by using the alarm training system. The chart approach would never have worked for him. The two children were just wired differently. But if your son's smearing is primarily related to some constipation (I don't know if this is the case, I'm just saying "if"), then a chart-and-reward might be helpful. This really varies from child to child.

10. As to whether it's a tic in your son's case, my two cents: it could be. Or it might also be something related to his TS, but without being a tic per se.

I will write a separate note to Juliward. Sorry if this was a bit long -- I wanted to share all my thoughts on this topic, hope I didn't over do it.

Last year was such a hard one in terms of school support. They will not provide any support in terms of helping him get cleaned up at school. They call me with each accident and make him wait in his soiled underwear in the office for me to arrive and change him. They also won't allow him to try to clean himself, as they say he could make a mess and pose a health risk to other students. It is so disruptive for everyone, and I have to think it's against his rights.
    I don't know what's required in Canada, but in New York you would get a one-on-one aide to help with toileting. You would put a goal in the IEP and you would write that support with clean-up would be phased out ("faded"), for the clean-up. The point is that the child should not be excluded from the regular education classroom just because he needs some help with toileting. He should be given the support he needs so that he can participate to the fullest extent possible.

If you can find the right law/regulation to quote, your advocacy will be more effective. Sorry I don't know where to look for Canada.