Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Professional CBIT Training

Default Re: Professional CBIT Training

I was more asking how to assist with tics that are triggered by trauma memories? Maybe it is similar to a mental tic?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I was more asking how to assist with tics that are triggered by trauma memories? Maybe it is similar to a mental tic?
    According to to my understanding, Tourette tics are restricted to involuntary muscle movement, thought to originate in a dysfunctional CSTC circuit within the basal ganglia.

Associated disorders like OCD and ADHD are thought to share similar origins within the brain The Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Newsletter | Tourette's, OCD, ADHD: Closer Together Than We Thought | Marco Grados MD

So called mental tics might have more to do with compulsions and intrusive, looping thoughts and might better benefit with therapeutic strategies aimed at managing compulsive behavior.

Looping thoughts may have a closer relationship to OCD symptoms that Tourette, but as we know, the relationship between Tourette, OCD and ADHD is closer than once thought as all three disorders are thought to occur in the same region of the brain.

Looping thoughts may be triggered by a particular situation or event where the mind becomes stuck on a phrase, word, scenario that repeats like a broken record (if you are old enough to appreciate the broken record metaphor...

Treatments might include cognitive behavior therapy to identify the trigger(s) and to learn strategies to abort or redirect that kind of thought process.

Some Ideas to Help Stop Obsessing | World of Psychology

Also:
    How to Eliminate Intrusive Thoughts

While Tourette tics are neurological and involuntary, tics tend to be influenced by environmental factors, both internal and external.

Examples of internal factors would include anxiety, fatigue, stress, excitement. External factors would include people, places or situations that tend to exacerbate tics in a predictable way. The environment does not cause tics, as Tourette tics are involuntary, but the environment can influence tics, both positively and negatively.

There is no universal standard for what factors trigger tics for any given individual, so the therapist would interview and assess each individual's particular tic triggers in order to provide strategies to address those triggers. What might increase tics for one person with Tourette, may not affect another's tics, while the same factor may lessen yet another's tics. (Silva et al 1995)

Strategies to manage internal factors would include such things as learning relaxation techniques, improvement of sleep hygiene, dietary modifications such as reduction in caffeine and sugars. External factors can be managed by mitigating those situations either by avoiding them, finding ways to lessen their influence through education, awareness etc, or learning ways to lessen their impact.

These strategies can be learned with the assistance and counseling of a behavior therapist, especially one who is trained and experienced in treating Tourette Syndrome.

Hi Journey, I just discovered that I misunderstood your original question:

Can you think of a competing response for a sniffing outward or snorting out tic? The adult client gets embarrassed as people constantly offer her a tissue, and the snorting out gets loud.
    When I read that, I imagined your client was getting offered a tissue by the same people over an over again, and so I was imagining something like an office or other working environment. But then you wrote:

at times explaining it to a clerk in a store is not helpful
    And now I understand better. If I imagine myself in your client's shoes, and it's a stranger offering the tissue, then a polite response might be to get out a tissue of my own from my pocket, dab it at my nose, and say something vague like, "I'm sorry, it's my fall/spring allergies" or "It's this dry winter air."

For your other question

how to assist with tics that are triggered by trauma memories? Maybe it is similar to a mental tic?
    I would suggest that you look into Exposure and Response Prevention. The International OCD Foundation provides training to therapists in this treatment technique.

This technique can be used for intrusive thoughts.