Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is It Possible to Paste in Formatted Text?

Default Is It Possible to Paste in Formatted Text?

Is there a way to paste in formatted text? In the article text I just pasted in, the bolding in the subheadings disappeared. I fixed it by bolding each one manually -- but I wonder if there's a better way, that I haven't figured out yet.

Default Re: Is It Possible to Paste in Formatted Text?

For my subsequent attempt, I tried pasting straight from the web, and that sort of worked; except that I had to add carriage returns, because there was no space added between paragraphs after I did the paste.

I think what I was hankering for in my previous post is something like WordPress has for pasting from Word.

PAsting formatted text from another source, particularly HTML formatting can create serious challenges in trying to make the posted content look presentable in our BBBcode environment.

When I re-post from another source, such as copying an article from a website, I copy the text and paste it in the Forum editor as plain text

That way, I can switch between the tabs of my browser, comparing what formatting needs to be done to make the pasted article look similar to the original, all the while wanting to conform to our own Forum requirements.

Before copying URL links associated with the source article, please ensure they point to content relevant to the article and not a sales link for something unrelated to the topic.

Most important, in re-posted articles is to show full credit for the source, in the first lines of the Forum post, indicating the name of the publication or website, as link back to the source article and the published date of the source article.

I agree. I also post in plain text and add formatting myself.
    If you do a straight copy and paste it always goes wonky.
    The plain text button is the blank space beside the Word folder in the tool bar.
    Good luck!
    Tina
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

You can actually use the WYSIWYG editor to paste the original with links and formatting but it will still need a bit of editing after you paste the content.

If you are starting a new thread, you will automatically be using the Advanced Editor:

advanced-2017-03-17_20-47-46.jpg

Toggle between the plain text and WYSIWYG modes using the button shown. You will still need to correct spacing and line feeds a bit but that is a quirk of the vBulletin software.

If you are replying to a thread, there's one more step because you start with the Quick Reply editor which by default is in text mode:

quick-editor-2017-03-17_20-46-22.png

Click on the Go Advanced Editor button to get to the first screen shot posted above.

Before copying URL links associated with the source article, please ensure they point to content relevant to the article and not a sales link for something unrelated to the topic.

Most important, in re-posted articles is to show full credit for the source, in the first lines of the Forum post, indicating the name of the publication or website, as link back to the source article and the published date of the source article.
    I hope my two recent posts about ODD were okay in these regards. If not, please point out where I slipped up, and/or help me fix it -- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aparente001 View Post
    I hope my two recent posts about ODD were okay in these regards. If not, please point out where I slipped up, and/or help me fix it -- thanks!
    You were missing the link to the specific article. I edited your post and reformatted it slightly. You can see there how to handle an undated article also: Oppositional Defiant Disorder in Adults.

I also reformatted How to Deal with a Child with ODD and ADHD to add in internal links from the slides and the final slide.

I hope my two recent posts about ODD were okay in these regards.
    When referring to posts, it's helpful to actually include a link to the post in addition to the title. That way we can be sure we're actually looking at the post you are referring to, especially if there is more than one post in the thread.

Steve