Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Sentences

Default Sentences

Hi. Does anyone know if tics can be in full sentances. For example my sons school rang today and said he randomly said I jumped down the stairs and kicked a dog and my drunk uncle killed a parrot he kept repeating this. We don't have stairs or a dog and my drunk uncle has never ever killed a parrot or hurt anyone or anything. The school are concerned and so am I.

Default Re: Sentances

Hi Ladymxxx,

Verbal tics can exist in full sentences, however, I don't think they are any reason to be concerned.

You haven't said how old your child is, but in my experience, the more attention you give a tic, the more self-conscious the child becomes about that tic, and the more likely that tic is to continue. Better to deflect the child's attention so they are focusing on something else. Then, that particular tic should wane and another tic would become more prevalent.

Anger is not a response that will help this child.

The challenge is to get the school on board with you. If you forbid the child from saying these words at school, all the energy they could put into learning will be directed toward not saying those words instead.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: Sentances

Hi tina. Ty for your quick response. I'm not angry with him at all and I've learned to ignore his tics. I've just never know him to tic a full sentence that was my concern which you have put my concerns to rest by saying that tics can be full sentances. I will be making sure that the school are supporting him appropriately and I have also contacted cahms to see where he is on tge waiting list for the extended team so a firm plan can be put in place at school too. Fingers crossed things speed up. Xx

Default Re: Sentences

My son's school rang today and said he randomly said, "I jumped down the stairs and kicked a dog and my drunk uncle killed a parrot." He kept repeating this. We don't have stairs or a dog and my drunk uncle has never ever killed a parrot or hurt anyone or anything.
    Hi Ladymxxx - my son has had some longish tics but not quite that long! But I can imagine it happening. The Tourette Association of American has a Workbook about accommodating Tourette in school that gives some examples of tics, and one of them is also longish: "I have a chicken in my pants."

My son is impulsive and sometimes says things in school that to an observer would be interpreted as "lies." For example, he's been known to talk about his (nonexistent) sister, and his (nonexistent) expensive vacation home.

The way my son explains it is that he has a vivid imagination.

Sometimes I almost wish my son would display some of his more dramatic vocal tics in school, so that they'll stop telling me "they don't see any tics"!

Hope you don't mind my asking -- but does one of you have a drunk uncle? Just curious!

Hiya. Ty for your response. These 2 sentances were at 2 different occasions not at the same time and on different days, sorry for not making that clear lol. Cheers for the workbook. I emailed the school last night for a meeting and I'm going to take them that work book and make sure leo is being helped appropriately. I completely understand yoy when you say I wish my son would do them at school. For a long time I used to be told "we haven't noticed him ticcing" until one day he blurted out "pinapple " then they believed me. I've been keeping video diary as proof for cahms too. However leo has clocked on to the fact that I am recording.....I need David Attenborough as my camera man lol. Leo does the same with imagination and has said some whoppers. I think our children are amazing. Bless them xxx

---------- Post Merged at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:42 AM ----------

Ps. I have had many a drunk uncle kind of figures as they are all glaswegian and like a drink however they are not constantly drunk and killing parrots lol. Xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ladymxxx View Post
    Ps. I have had many a drunk uncle kind of figures as they are all glaswegian and like a drink however they are not constantly drunk and killing parrots lol. Xxx

I have relatives (three sisters and nephews and nieces) in Scotland (Glasgow, Aberdeen, and I think Edinburgh) as well. They do like to drink but as far as I know none of them are parrot killers either.

Cheers for the workbook. I emailed the school last night for a meeting and I'm going to take them that work book and make sure leo is being helped appropriately.
    Glad you liked it. I went through the catalog part and checked off all the accommodations I thought would help my son have a better experience with school, and then made a succinct list to take to the meeting at school.

Can you email the link to the school? Maybe they would behave better than my son's school personnel, and actually read it before your meeting.

Have you given them the tourettes-action.org.uk leaflet about managing Tourette in the classroom? Even though it's from the UK and I'm in the US, this is the flyer I'm currently giving teachers -- it's my favorite.

leo has clocked on to the fact that I am recording
    I think a log or diary, where you jot down brief observations, is usually accepted, at least in the U.S. Let us know when you have a CAHMS date, and also I'll be interested to know what that process is like. My son was first diagnosed by his pediatrician, and later that was confirmed by a pediatric neurologist. It would be interesting to see how diagnosing processes compare across countries.

How's the reflux?
    Last edited by aparente001; March 31, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Lol djbaxter. That really made me laugh. Xx

---------- Post Merged at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:10 PM ----------

His acid reflux is controlled at the moment and appears to be having a calm patch. He is on omeprazole and buscopan. I will definitely keep u guys posted. Ty again for all your support xxx