Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What It Feels Like to Live with Undiagnosed Autism

Default What It Feels Like to Live with Undiagnosed Autism

While this article is about adults living with autism, I think there may be similarities with those living with undiagnosed Tourette Syndrome.

What it feels like to live with undiagnosed autism

Here is a small excerpt:

For all the relief, I felt frustrated because society isn’t ready to handle adults with autism — especially not women. It is still diagnosed five times more often in men. A boy might lash out or throw things. But as a girl or a woman on the spectrum, you almost have to prove it so people take you seriously and make accommodations for you. You follow people around to blend in.

I’m very good at wearing a mask because I’m so old now. I’ve learned strategies so I know what to look like and how to act and what to say when I’m stressed out so it won’t show. People will say, “Oh, you’re fine” — meanwhile, I’m breaking down, and when I get home, I won’t speak for hours. I want people to know we are not faking our behaviours to get attention. We don’t want the attention.
    Ironically, if I had known that I had autism when I was younger, I think it would have impeded my success. There is a stigma attached to the word, right? Some assume that you don’t like people or have no emotions — that you can’t do anything. I had to struggle on my own with no explanation, but I managed to get where I am.
    What do you think?
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership

Default Re: What It Feels Like to Live with Undiagnosed Autism

It's interesting. She seems to be suggesting that the dramatically lower diagnosis rates in neurological disorders between males and females is not necessarily entirely due to genetic differences.

That idea is new to me. It would be interesting to see a study about that.