Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ontario to Change Child Support Law to Give Adult Children with Disabilities Access

Default Ontario to Change Child Support Law to Give Adult Children with Disabilities Access

Hi everyone,
    I saw this article in the Toronto Star, while I do not think it would apply to most people on this Forum, I thought I would post it, just in case it is useful to someone. Please go to this link to read the whole article:

Ontario to change child support law to give adult children with disabilities access to parental cash
    Brampton single mother launched a constitutional challenge to win child support for her 22-year-old disabled son.
    By Laurie Monsebraaten, Social justice reporter
    Sat., July 8, 2017 The Toronto Star

Here are a few details from the middle of the article:
    Joshua was born with Di George Syndrome, a genetic abnormality that causes multiple medical and psychiatric problems that his doctor says are “chronic, severe and debilitating.”
    He has trouble paying attention, suffers from anxiety and obsessive compulsive behaviour and “will require the care and supervision of others throughout his life,” according to his doctor.
    Coates, an educational resource worker for students with special needs in the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board, says she needs child support to help defray the costs of day programs and medical expenses for Joshua that can run more than $1,400 a month.
    She says she launched the case so that no other single parent caring for a disabled child could be abandoned by an absent parent when the child becomes an adult.
    Adult children with disabilities are eligible for child support in every province except Ontario and Alberta regardless of the parents’ previous marital status and whether children are in school or not, argued Coates’s lawyer Robert Shawyer who took on the case pro bono in January.
    Last edited by Tina; July 9, 2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership