Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Care to Share? I'm New, How About You?

Default Care to Share? I'm New, How About You?

I am a 74 1/2 year old woman who unknowingly has displayed facial and shoulder tics for many years....They have really increased in intensity and the episodes are closer together...four years ago a had over a year free of symptoms. This is very frustrating not to mention embarrassing....tho I do have family and workplace support.
    If any of you have a similar story or are experiencing similar symptoms etc, I would love to hear from you! Thanks! Silver

Default Re: Care to Share? I'm New, How About You?

Welcome to the Forum, Silver and thanks for joining us.

Have your symptoms ever been assessed by a medical professional to provide you with a diagnosis?

What if any other symptoms, besides the facial and should tics do you express? Any vocal or phonic tics such as throat clearing, sniffing, grunts, barks or words?

You and I grew up in the same era, where there was little if any awareness of Tourette or similar disorders, like the frequent associated disorders we see with Tourette like ADHD, OCD and mood and anxiety disorders.

My own diagnosis for Tourette was made in my mid forties, and I lived the first part of my life thinking I was the only person in the world who could possibly be doing these things.

Any other members of your family, that you know of, who have tics?

Default Re: Care to Share? I'm New, How About You?

I am a 74 1/2 year old woman who unknowingly has displayed facial and shoulder tics for many years....They have really increased in intensity and the episodes are closer together
    That is very interesting, Silver. In a way, it makes sense. I've noticed that as a person ages, certain neurological differences tend to become more pronounced. The one that I've noticed is a heightened sensory defensiveness. Also, it seems to me that one's brakes (inhibition) may become faulty with age.

There's often a flip side to something becoming more pronounced with age. For example, I found it challenging to care for babies and young children, starting a family at a more advanced age than the average parents. This made it more challenging to handle having to be up at night with a small child. One of the flip sides of this was that I brought more creativity and thoughtfulness to my parenting than I would have when I was younger. Another was that I was more careful to pace myself, and take care of myself, than I probably would have been when I was younger. I think because I was more self aware than when I was younger.

Do you see any flip sides to this facet of aging, in your case? Are there two sides to the coin for you?