Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Somedays (c) 2010 Gary A. Quinn

Default Somedays (c) 2010 Gary A. Quinn

A while back I promised to post the actual official recording of the song Some Days I made it into a still video with the artwork pictures from the CD. Hope you enjoy it. Feedback is welcome be it positive or negative. Honesty is the best gift someone can give.

Blessings,
    Gary

Facebook direct video link:
    https://www.facebook.com/10001148331...user_video_tab
    Last edited by GaryQ; August 8, 2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added direct link
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Default Re: Somedays (c) 2010 Gary A. Quinn

Thanks for sharing, Gary. Can you post the lyrics for each of the songs? And can you explain what instruments we hear, and which ones you are playing? I think I hear a violin on this one. Or is it a synthesizer? Did you write the words and the music?

Quote Originally Posted by aparente001 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Gary. Can you post the lyrics for each of the songs? And can you explain what instruments we hear, and which ones you are playing? I think I hear a violin on this one. Or is it a synthesizer? Did you write the words and the music?
    aparente001, Thanks for the interest in the songs.

Here's a bit of history on Some Days:
    In 2009 a young couple from my church were expecting their first child. Sadly they found out that the baby's organs were growing outside of his tiny little body. Surviving birth was a slim possibility and Little Cole Michael not only survived but it was worse than they were expecting little fighter fought for 7 days and on the 7th day he found peace from an unbearable battle. The miracle was not only that he survived birth in his condition but he lived long enough to be named, pictured and loved and touch the lives of many. When I heard the news of his passing I was devastated not for Cole but for his parents and the pain they had to endure. A friend told me to cheer up said: Pick up your guitar and write me a song. I was even more frustrated as I hadn't written anything since 1995. With some strange inspiration a day or 2 after I picked up the guitar and Some Days came out in one sitting 95% as it was performed acoustically.

The pictures that rotate are the artwork of the actual printed and pressed CD. The hands and feet that you see on the CD face picture are his prints taken at birth at the hospital. He inspired me more in his 7 day battle than anyone else in my lifetime.

As for the 2 song CD
    Both songs are my compositions words and music. the music on the CD recording was arranged and performed by Colin Ritchet. On Some Days the piano partition was supposed to be temporary until I recorded the acoustic guitar but I liked the piano as it reproduced the exact melody of the guitar arrangement and decided to keep it as is. Personally I like the guitar solos he added to the arrangements. All instruments except bass and guitars are synthesized. Colin also sang background vocals on Set My soul On Fire.

Funny note:
    All proceeds went to the mission. I encouraged people to make a 5$ donation but the catch is that all my personal friends had to donate $20 to get a personalized signed CD, It was for a good cause after all. Launched it on 10/10/10 at my church, We also sold tickets to auction off the original drawing that a young friend Arthur donated for the cover art that we had framed (it was like 2' x 3')

Then I started to get sicker and my last day of work was on Dec 10, 2010. 2 months after the release.

I'll post the lyrics for both songs in each thread

Blessing,
    Gary

---------- Post Merged at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Some Days
    Lyrics & Music (c) 2009 Gary A. Quinn

Some days it seems like there's no end,
    Wish all my burdens could be gone.
    Some days I feel I have no friend,
    Can't find the strength to carry on.

Some days it seems there's no way out,
    No where to run no place to hide.
    Some days my heart is so full of doubt,
    From all the pain I feel Inside.

Chorus 1:
    But it's OK, I'm alright,
    I'm gonna hold on for the fight.
    No, I won't give up, I won't back down,
    I'll wear a smile and never frown.
    No, I can't give up, I can't give in,
    I know that someday I will win.

Some days the thought of death seems sweeter,
    Then life itself and going on.
    Yet somehow in my darkest hour,
    He gives me strength to carry on.

Chorus 2:
    So it's OK, I'm alright,
    I know that someday I will win.

When I'm weak He builds me up,
    And wen I'm lost He comes for me.
    When I fall down He picks me up,
    And when I'm sad He comforts me.
    You know when He died, He died for me.
    And when He rose, Christ set me free.

Chorus 3:
    So it's OK, I'm alright,
    I know that someday He will win.

Someday...
    Gary
    CRY and CRY again!"

Thanks, Gary.

What was your process? Did you write a poem and then experiment to find a melody for the lines of poetry?

What was your job? (If you don't mind my asking.)

On a totally different note, to show my appreciation, I'll tell you a little tidbit about some joy my son brought me today. Right before bedtime reading, he was listening to his mp3 player and dancing in front of the mirror. He dances hiphop very well. Creative, fun to watch, and the routines he makes up are complete with great facial expressions. He started out doing an interpretive dance showing what a jerk the director of special education is, and that morphed into pantomiming in funny ways a whole bunch of different olympic sports. He cracked me up. (And I was pretty proud of myself that I managed to guess "curling" correctly.)
    Last edited by aparente001; August 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by aparente001 View Post
    Thanks, Gary.

What was your process? Did you write a poem and then experiment to find a melody for the lines of poetry?

What was your job? (If you don't mind my asking.)
    Usually the melody came first and often times they came together.
    Some Days I had the chord progression in my head for a while the lyrics just came out like that in one sitting, minus a few tweaks.
    I did write some poetry mostly in French.
    I hope you enjoyed the songs... many reads few listens...

I was working installing TV, Internet and phone service for the local telco through a contractor. But I've done many things and had a few businesses through the years.

On a totally different note, to show my appreciation, I'll tell you a little tidbit about some joy my son brought me today. Right before bedtime reading, he was listening to his mp3 player and dancing in front of the mirror. He dances hiphop very well. Creative, fun to watch, and the routines he makes up are complete with great facial expressions. He started out doing an interpretive dance showing what a jerk the director of special education is, and that morphed into pantomiming in funny ways a whole bunch of different olympic sports. He cracked me up. (And I was pretty proud of myself that I managed to guess "curling" correctly.)
    That's awesome, I appreciate you sharing that (I tend to visualize easily... part of why I sometimes come up with silly post responses.
    Gary
    CRY and CRY again!"